What is "Computer Guided"?

There are programs/motifs and pantos that have been digitized and you basically hit "start" and walk away and the computer runs the machine. Not much interaction from the human once it starts stitching is how I understand it but I could be way wrong here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Linda S

I've seen the computer guided quilting. It is usually so perfect that it just doesn't look right if you know what I mean. Of course, this is just my opinion, but it seems to take the art out of the whole thing. Don't get me wrong -- those systems are capable of some beautiful designs -- they're just not my cup of tea.

Linda

So if I have a computer guided machine, and the thread breaks, does it stop? Or the bobbin runs out....how long does it take to "reset" to the right spot in the pattern and the quilt? Seems too much like work....I sort of like the "hands on" type of quilting.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I have seen one of those machines work.

It does not stop if the thread breaks, it just keeps putting holes in the quilt until you shut down the computor! Then you take it back, re-thread it and then you have to reprogram the computor and start the machine. It is a good 10min. process just to get it re-threaded and re-started..

I would think that as people start buying some of these, there will have to be a different catagory for the quilts, as they are not done by a person guiding the machine!

The other thing that I noticed was the amount of cables running everywhere, I would be tripping over them. LOL

It can't be easy to take the head off the carraige if you would ever need to send it in for repair!!

It will be interesting to see how popular these machines will become!

Connie

Guest Linda S

I forgot to mention that on another longarm chat group I frequent, someone has a computerized stitcher. They had spent a lot of time clipping threads off the back of the quilt, but hadn't paid much attention to the front. Turned out it had a bit of dimensional piecing to it. The computer snagged on one block and made a HUGE mess before it finally jammed up and stopped the machine. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to frog out that mess!

Linda

I've often wondered if they stopped when the thread breaks. Thank you Connie for your answer. I am currently digitizing some of the motifs that I like that look better 'perfect' and I am using my embroidery machine to do those blocks then loading the quilt on my millenium to do the rest. I've done a couple so far and it worked out really well. I just finished a Lone Star quilt for a client that was all jungle and wildlife prints so I digitized a tiger face in outlines so that it looked like part of the quilting and did one in each of the corner blocks then loaded the quilt onto my LA and did all the rest of the quilting. I know I could've done the tigers on the LA also but it only took 30minutes each for them to stitch out on my embroidery machine and each one was identical so it really made my life easy.

I'm sure down the road, if these type of machines become popular that they will have to incorporate some kind of sensor that stops it when the thread breaks. My embroidery machine does this then allows you to easily go back to where it left off and start again.

I wouldn't see the point in having one of these machines if I had to stand next to it, just to see if the thread was going to break. My only incentive for having a machine like this would be that I could be doing something else while it ran.

• 10 months later...

there are always some "quirks" when a new system comes to life. Ti have long-term sucessful sales the quirks eventually get fixed.....I an remember when knitting machines developed garter carriages which operate alone....slthough very slowly....and they do stop when they hit a knot or run out of thread.....each new machine has a "place" but the human creqtivity is still the best overall designer...Beverly in NC

Archived