HQ Sixteen Quilting machine

I think you will spend quite a bit and then later wish you had a real long arm. You can get a used APQS for the price of one of these. You won't get the stitch regulated model or latest features like the needle up and a thread cutter with the used APQS but you will have more throat space to accomodate bigger designs. I purchased a used Ultimate 2 that had been restored at the factory for 4300 that included the table and everything. I find that if I just keep to a steady speed my stitches look fine. There are no computers to break on my machine. It is just a bigger version of an old fashioned sewing machine. I love my machine. I couldn't afford the Millie so this was my best solution to get into long arm quilting. It is a blast.

I guess there are pros and cons for both. Good luck in your decision. Cheryll

Copper,

It depends on how you want to use it. Are you going into the quilting business? Then I would say "no". Are you using it for your own personal pleasure, then it is probably all you need. It just depends on what you feel your "needs" are.

There have been other discussions earlier on this board about this topic, just go back and read some of the older posts.

Patty

• 4 weeks later...

I have a HQ16. For me, it was a good choice. I do wish I had a wider quilting space, but that is my only wish. I don't want to do quilting as a business, it's just hobby for me. What I felt I needed were the basics and I think the HQ16 does the basics well.

I think it's like any other purchase. You need to figure out what you want and need it to do, and then compare machines.

I'd be happy to talk to you more if you want to ask more questions :)

• 3 months later...

I found that going to a location where you can try various brands one right after the other, all on the same day is very helpful when you are deciding which brand to buy. I can't tell you what a difference it made in being able to make comparisons on things like weight. It is truly like being Goldy Locks in the Three Bears, at some point you arrive at a machine that feels "just right." Its alot easier to have that inner knowing when the things you are comparing are still in your sense memory.

Also I thought I would just mention that you might have a good experience with a particular brand at one dealer and then have a bad experience with the same brand at a different dealer, so keep in mind that sometimes what you experience is a result of the knowledge and care that a dealer puts into maintaining and demonstrating their models. I had one good experience on the HQ and one bad experience because of this situation. Ditto for the Viking MegaQuilter.

My experiences at dealers that did not have their machines in proper working order gave me pause to consider the importance of needing to understand how to use the machine properly to get the best results that are possible to achieve based on the abilities and limitations of each machine (and quilter).

When I saw "problems" that gave me cause for concern, I went to online owner group forums like this one to try and understand whether the problems I saw were caused by human error, or whether they were caused by real limitations in the machine which forced the quilter to find a way around them by adapting to the machine in some way. I found that to be a true litmus test for me on the quality of the machine and its true value and worth as something to invest in for the long term.

Originally posted by copper2162000

I am thinking of buying the HQ Sixteen ...What do you think?

Archived