My wheels seem better, now the next question..

Thanks to everyone who helped me with my wheels. It ended up that Mark sent me new ones, and things seem better now...now I can believe the problem is just me and not the machine. When hubby took off the first wheel he found an allen screw that was not tightened down, he tightened it and put the new wheel on and now the wheel turns freely. I think it was the problem with the screw that caused all the issues.

Ok, now the next problem...I hope I don't wear you guys out. I had purchased a stylus and an R&S pattern board for circles so he attached my stylus for me. When I tried to demonstate how it all works I found it doesn't work because there is not enough clearance between the bottom of the machine and the table so the board won't go under the machine. Has anyone else had that problem? I had him loosen some of the cross cylinders and rotate then around but nothing changed.

I'm so frustrated...people tell me I will love this machine but I have to say, I'm not feeling the love. I am going to put a little quilt on tomorrow and just meander, I think I will feel better just to see something quilted. I'm also going to Innovations this week, maybe I can get some answers there.

Thanks again to all of you..you are the most helpful group...and So talented too! The pictures of your beautiful quilts keep me going.

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

Getting to know and love your machine is a little like childbirth................... tough, wearying, frustrating and with big ouchies (sometimes a few screams) to start with but in the end, all the pain will be worth it. I know, I have been there and I am coming out the other end of frustration.

Guess what, this is when you will find out how much your husband loves and supports you, as the machine will have to be raised.;) The manual will show you how to do this. I did it on my own, as Geoff is at work for 12 hours per day or so, so I always tried to see "adjustments" as a learning experience for myself. :cool: (Trying to remain positive and seeing everything with rosecoloured glasses during your familiarisation phase, is most important and helps a lot too!! Otherwise you will have to hit the chocolate or wine, or even both.)

Believe me, I raised my carriage only to have to lower it again slightly. Yes, Blonde at work, but like I said, experience. Get to love your spanners and get to know your machine!! She will love you back in the end.

A word of warning............... do not smack your machine like MaryBeth did. She might smack back(the machine that is)!!:D But that 's a whole different story.

Supporting you in spirit,

Hi Cindy--I am glad to see you are visiting Innovations this week. The APQS booth is a great place to ask all your questions and maybe purchase a manual. The maintenance class for APQS is on Wednesday from 3:30 until 5:30. The cost is $55 and worth every penny. A manual is included with the class. The registration fee is $40 so it may be rather expensive to take just one class. But that fee gets you a goody bag and entrance to the show and vendor mall. If you don't want the class, pay your entry fee to the show and make a bee-line to the APQS booth with all your questions written down. Hope to see you there!

Thanks Linda: I am registered and am taking the maintanance class...just seems to me that a manual should be included in the price of the machine. Even the assembly manual was for an older version of the machine so if it hadn't been for a mechanically inclined husband we would have been sol. So many pictures and descriptions of parts didn't apply, it was a real challenge. I told him tonight his name has been changed to Manual.

Hi Cindy

Have you just bought a new machine? If so, your manual is in CD format. The set-up instructions are on paper and there should have been a CD with your machine. You'll need to print off the pages you need to look at if you don't have a computer in your quilting room.

To speed things up regarding raising the height of your carriage, you could ring APQS and tell them what you want to do and they will either send you out longer bolts and washers or collars or you could pick them up t the booth.

Its important to have those cylinders all tightened back up equally again.

Good luck

sue in australia

Hi Susanne: Yes I just bought my machine in May. I've seen only general information..loading a quilt, oiling the machine and such on CD...I'll wait now and see if I get a printed manual when I take the class at innovations. I feel much better now that I know the height issue isn't a terminal condition! I planned on putting a quilt on today so I could play but I have been mesmerized by Matt's waiting for the truck and assembly so haven't gotten that done yet.

Thanks again...Cindy

Hi Cindy,

I reached a stage I was so disheartened that our last trip to the States was planned around A course with Dawn and the two day maintenance class. Both are really worth the money and time (lots for us:D).

I find the more I tinker with the machine, the more I feel in control of her. Try it, it reall does work. You will need longer bolts and more washers, as Sue Morris wrote, so contact Amy. She should also be able to email or fax the instructions on how to do this to you.

All the best,

Hi Cindy

Until you do your class maybe you could just watch the video when you need help.

I was mesmerised by Matt's video too. I've been out for about 4 hrs and went to look at how he was going when I got home but he's probably stopped for the day since its midnight where you are - anyone know if he finished the set up??

Sue in Australia

Archived