manual vs stitch regulator mode

I just got my new Edgerider wheels installed on my machine, and boy are they nice! While practicing feathers today, I tried out the manual mode, really for the first time. I was amazed at how smoothly the machine runs in manual over stitch regulator mode. For me, there are a couple of obvious downsides to using the manual mode...I have to control the thread tension and stitch lengths myself. If I use it much I'll have to get used to turning the machine off quickly, before I stop moving it.

My question is, when do you use manual mode and how do you make it work best for you?

Hi Annie!

Well, you know that my personal machine still lacks a regulator, but as far as when it's valuable to turn it off, that would be when you're doing small, detailed work like stippling. The new Quilt Glide option available on 2008 and newer Millennium and Freedom SR's actually simulates manual mode at slow speeds, then kicks the regulator in once you start moving more quickly.

I also use manual for stitching in the ditch, and for doing techniques that require me to drag my thread, such as jumping across applique patches to continue cross hatching. In manual mode, I can slow down as I approach the applique patch, making very tiny stitches so that the threads are locked. Once I move the machine across the patch to the other side, I start moving slowly again (locking the stitches) before resuming a "normal" pace for consistent stitch length.

You'll get lots of answers...just experiment and practice, and you'll get proficient in BOTH modes:)!

Dawn, I bought my machine with the quilt glide. I just watched your video on you tube where you showcase your long arm, and there was a button on the front of your machine that seemed to turn on the quilt glide. I don't have that button. Is it automatic when built in? Or am I missing something?

thanks for your comments about the manual mode, and Joan's too. It scares me to go manual, but I saw a quote recently, something to the effect of "do something that scares you every day". I think it was Eleanor Roosevelt. So....more manual mode for me:-)

I mainly work from the back of the machine, a panto type of guy. I am slowly getting the courage up to move to the front of the machine. I started out with a non stitch regulated Ultimate 2, so I got use't to doing everything in manual mode. I now have a stitch regulated Ultimate 1 and only use manual mode when doing most small meandering patterns.

I love quilting without my stitch regulator. I love quilting without my stitch regulator.

I love quilting... without my stitch regulator! :) Really! It's so nice!! The times I really use it is for ruler work or when I need real detailed control inside a block. Otherwise, e2e quilting, etc is without SR.

Try to keep your needle speed and your machine movement consistent. First step of practicing, remove the thread from the needle and just try a practice of quilting without SR engaged. Watch the needle go up and down and move the machine along the fabric as you go. The faster you go the smoother your quilting lines will be. (think of it as a boat up on step in the water... it runs more smoothly up on top of the water's surface) Same goes with needle speed. If you are faster, your curves using the muscles in your arms will follow suit. In fact, when I am using SR, most times I am going at speed 12, or even speeds up to 13 or 14! Yes, that is going pretty fast but over time I have found that speed 13 and 14 work best for me with meandering swirls or feathers.

Enjoy.

Oops, so sorry. I do have the quilt glide button. I just never noticed it. I tried it today and it does work. In SR mode it makes the machine move much smoother. However, when I stop moving the machine it keeps stitching, like in manual mode. That will take some getting used to.

Shana, I love quilting too, any way I can make it work:) I'm having a lot of fun getting to know my Millie.

Archived