Like a Longarm Guild

OK I need help. Would it be possible to start a group that could get together maybe once a month and bounce things off of one another about longarming? I am stuck in a rut and I am a hands on person. I am from New York State and maybe we could make a plan. Everyones work on this forum is beautiful and I would like to get to be half as good with the quilting and the ideas. Love to hear from you.:)

Where in New York State are you? I am outside of Albany. The only problem with a longarm guild is some of the longarmers don't like to share for fear of having their customers taken away. I do not have a business so I am not quilting for customers. I just want to learn from others.

I think there are enough quilters out there with tops to be quilted that more longarmers are needed. I realize since my income is not depending on the number of quilts I do so I guess I can see both sides.

Charlotte

Charlotte,

Quiltmaama (Debbi if I recall correctly) is from Delmar. We have talked about this but time is not often our friend! My problem is time for sure. I don't really care about other's stealing my business. I feel like if my customers want my style they will come to me, if not their loss :P:P:P:P! LOL this is not my full-time job so maybe that is why I have that attitude. I'd love to get together but again with the holidays quickly approaching I know most LA's are in the holiday crunch. I am.

We started a guild here in the Panhandle of Fl about a year ago. We meet once a month. Several of us do this as a business and several others just for themselves. I wouldn't worry about not starting one "because of fear of losing customers". If your customers are happy with your style/turn around time/etc. They will have no need to seek out another la'er. Besides, at the meetings, customers are not discussed, it is strictly a way to share knowledge, learn from others, get inspiration, etc. I think it really does just the opposite and brings the longarmers closer together so that "fear" is taken away!!

Let's keep this in mind and sometime maybe in January we can get together and work from there. I have a parttime job (4days a week) I also have 4Grandchildren so I know time is stretched but lets see if we can work up something after the holidays. I do some quilts for other people but I would like to do my own work and enter some shows. I would have to get alot better than I am now, but I know with the right kind of guidance and friends I could do it. I don't want a big client base because I love to make quilts and I miss that.

Take a clue from the Moxie's in the NW. We have a terrific group. We meet about every 3 months. We have members come clear from New York! I've NEVER heard anyone concerned about losing customers to other members. No one is reluctant to share knowledge. Some are professionals, some just quilt for themselves. Some have APQS machines, some don't. Everyone shares, learns, talks, enjoys, eats and generally makes merry. I am extremely happy to have found this group and would be very disappointed if we ever faded away. Go for it, you will never regret it.

We have a terrific longarm group here in NC. We meet quarterly and vary were we meet. It is great getting to spend time with other people that love what we do. I learn something new at every meeting.

Good luck with starting a group! I hope that your group takes off and that you learn lots of fun and helpful things.

Archived