A Good Week Quilting

I'm still such a beginner but I actually did 3 customer quilts this week. I'd post pics but I don't know how and anyway I can only meander and you all know what that looks like anyway...ha.

Now I need some more advice..

I got my ruler mate in the mail today, now I need some rulers...any suggestions? What are your favorites?

Also, any advice on back health? I did one quilt with a lot of fullness in the borders...didn't think I'd have to face this so soon. Also, the blocks weren't all exactly the same size, so to keep everything nice and square I worked with one hand on the machine and one hand on the quilt kind of manipulating the fabric for the whole thing. I spent hours bending over and reaching and my back was killing me when I was done. I took a lot of breaks too. I felt like I'd earned my quilters stripes when that thing was finished...I did a good job of quilting out all that fullness though. I'd pat myself on the back but I'm too sore and stiff to reach around there...

And this is long overdue but I 'd like to publicly thank Sheila Hooper and her hubby for adjusting my wheels so nicely.

good for you!! I know what you mean about sore backs! I do go to my chiropractor on a regular basis...(I work for one, so I don't have to pay for my adjustments);) and I go get a massage about every 7 weeks. It is an expense, but it REALLY does help! Glad it's going so well for you!! linda

Terrific getting 3 quilts done in a week, even if they were "just meandering." As for the back I use my sadle stool alot! I too get a very ache back with too much standing and stooping. I have really been thinking about the hydrallic lift but don't dare say anything to hubby right now. I'll keep thinking about it and if I have a good year next year I'll get it.

As for rulers my new favorite is DeLoa's rulers for SID. She has a long one (10" I think) and a shorter 1 - 6" I love them! I find myself using the smaller one the most. My other favorite is the dainty ditcher. All of these rulers have 1/4" marks on them which makes it so much easier to use.

DeLoa's website is: http://deloasquiltshop.com/

I don't think her rulers are online yet but give her a call or email her and she'll get you all set.

Congrats on getting 3 quilts done! I know how good that feels! As to your back you may want to check your table height, your arms should be bent at a comfortable angle when standing at the front of the machine. The legs are adjustable with a wrench!

I get a massage every 6 weeks, all of my tension goes into my shoulder area, really cramps up so the masseuse works all the knots and kinks out for me.

As for the back, do you have your table high enough? I quilted on our old one at a way to low setting and didn't realize it until one day we decided to make it higher and what a difference. Now I have a hydraulic lift and use it alot!!! As far as rulers I like the itty bitty and I use the Judys favorite applique from gadget girls I have a little longer straight that I use alot too. Wishing I had a set of ovals too. You'll just have to buy one of everything and try them out to see which is your favorite!!!:):):) Congrats on your 3 quilts!!!

Archived