Thread Breakage Solution

Yesterday, I was SO frustrated - I did a King-Size Quilt - CL Baptist Fan with Maxi-loc and Bottom-line - no thread breakage.

I had a small area (baby quilt size) left over of backing and batting and decided to load fabric and CL Swirls, changed out the thread, a cone of Superior King Tut and wound a couple of King Tut bobbins. As I started, there was breakage on every swirl and I methodically went through all the steps, changed the tension, changed out the needle, followed the thread path for burrs. No change, the thread would snap at the needle hole and had a little curl to it, where it snapped.

I was ready to change back to Maxi-loc, but came back to this forum, to see if there was something else besides what I had already tried.

And yes, there was a suggestion by Carmen, to turn the cone of thread upside down. I did that and had NO breakage after that!!! I felt the top of the cone and found a rough spot where the thread would catch, pull tight, and then snap.

I did not have to get rid of wonderful thread (King Tut) and I am back to loving the process of quilting!!!!

Next time, before I mess with the machine, I will first flip my cone (to save some grief)!

Thanks for that tip as I too have been having the same problem, cleaned out the bobbin area again, blew out the tension disc, changed needles, bobbins, checked for burrs, used sewers aid...new spool of thread. I think I am finally going well on a panto and I look up and notice that I am overlaping my previous row. Urrrrgggghhhh! I must have bumped the laser light...maybe I should just stop quilting for the day and do something else, it is a shame too because I have my new ER wheels on and they are soooo smooth, too bad that is the only thing that is going right today....maybe tomarrow will be a better day. (I was just hoping to knock out another panto today - not!)

Archived