Learning by doing

I have done many charity quilts and tops for myself. I got many charity tops from my guild. I wish I kept track but I bet I have done 50 quilts since I got my machine in March.

Yesterday I wanted to try something new. I stink at SITD but wanted to outline the blocks on this quilt. So I tried what I call a wiggle stitch. It is just a wavy stitch. This worked really well. It outlined the blocks and then later I went in and did a flower in each one. I did the same thing separating the borders.

I have learned what threads work really well ---top and bottom. I now know if the stitch quality is not right--it is not the thread combo.

I can do leaves--one shape so far----really well and one type of flower. I can meander and do loops very smoothly. The next thing I want to learn is the peacock feather design.

I am much better at loading and getting things square. I really love being at the front of the machine and just having fun. My stitches are quite even as I do not have a regulator.

Another great thing I learned is after the quilt is washed all those little imperfections just disappear. I used Warm and Natural and it pulls in enough to do just that.

I have learned lots here and other sites. The internet really helps the learning curve.

50 quilts is pretty good for 8-9 months....I am sure you have learned so much. When I look at the first quilts I did I say "aaaaaggghh" pretty bad! But you are right, once you have mastered a few techniques you can pull off some pretty nice work. I agree with you on the washing part too, the stitches kind of sink into the quilt and it covers some oh-ohs. I also think that a quilt looks twice as good off the machine. It is not under the glaring lights and not as taut once it is off.

Another thing I have noticed is now that I do longarm quilting I notice the quilting much more than someone who does not. I see some awesome pictures on this forum and there are usually at least parts of a design that I can duplicate. I used to hate SID too, but now I really like it and don't feel my quilts are finished unless I do at least some. I have the stitch in the ditch ruler from the gadget girls and it never is too far away from me. I also got their circles with the cut out in the middle to do continuous curves.....they work awesome!

Keep on having fun!

Helen

This is great news and inspiration to newbies reading this post. :) See? With the positive attitude and PPP you can do anything and you get better and better over time. I love the peacock meander. It is a very fun and exciting design to quilt, and the effect is so pretty. It takes a little PPP (on paper) and then go for it on the quilt. Try first with SR and eventually wean yourself off SR and you will find it's much easier (plus faster) to quilt the peacock design without SR. Keep up the great work!

Archived