Needle Up and Down Problems-At Wits End-Took Great Advice

Don't know why but the needle up and down just won't stop until it's good and ready to stop. I have checked 5 times for thread and it's good and clean in there AND I've adjusted the #8 screw several times. After adjusting the #8 screw, it will work when I'm "testing" it but then when I go to actually sew on the fabric again it goes beserk up and down again. Is there something I've missed????

I have a quilt to do for a guy that has bone cancer and not expected to make it much longer that I'm supposed to start quilting tomorrow. Any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated, especially since it's so close to the holiday.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I loaded a practice piece this morning and had no problems, but it probably hadn't warmed up as much as it was last night. I talked to Mark (hubba hubba;)) and he gave me some suggestions to get me by if it continues to do it after I get it good and warmed up while I'm quilting during the holiday weekend. I feel better now knowing (as a temporary last resort thing) that putting drag on the flywheel manually was okay to do and that doing the needle up and down manually was okay to do, too, because I did both of those last night to get by with finishing my sister-in-law's log cabin birthday quilt. I still have a few bird's nests to fix on the quilt, but at least it's done quilting.

Thanks again for your input! This forum is the BEST!

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Despite life as it is in this day and age, we still have lots to be thankful for! :)

Archived