2009 Millennium - use alcohol and wax on rails? or no wax?

I've not researched too much ... thought I'd come to those in the know.

DVD on maintenance of Max says to use alcohol to wipe down rails and then coat with a light touch of wax (without the simonize stuff). And then I remember reading somewhere that the wax may not be necessary with the 'new' machines? What's the true scoop?

Dancing with Max and twirl, pose ... hold it, now bow.

Thank you.

I took the beginner and advanced beginner class from Dawn last month and she said with the new machines and tables we don't need to use wax, just alcohol. I think she said something about the old style(as in several years old) wheels causing more buildup on the rails which required more cleaning and the wax helped them move more smoothly. Gosh, I've slept one or two nights since then and don't remember exactly. :D

Carmen,

Your memory is intact!

I really need to get that DVD remade...let's see; what number on my "to do" list should it be? Is yours as long as mine? :)

The brown wheels on older machines had a different composite that tended to collect more of the residue produced by the aluminum's natural oxidation process. Rubbing alcohol is an inexpensive cleaner for the rails, though some quilters have headed toward the automotive aisle and found other cleaners that work as well.

The wax acts like a temporary sealer over the rails, reducing the speed of the oxidation. Unfortunately, the older style wheels' rougher interior also broke down that wax barrier much more quickly, while also collecting the residue.

With the newer black wheels, the interior portion is much more smooth, reducing that acumulation from oxidized particles. However, the oxidation still happens (after all, we DO still need to breathe--can't do anything about the air interacting with the aluminum:)) so it's important to clean the rails and wheels regularly with alcohol to stay ahead of the game.

Hope that clears things up, Dancing Bear!

since i cant sleep in anticipation of actually getting my freedom out of the box tomorrow, i've been reading all these wonderful posts and now i'm wondering does this 'no need to wax the new table' rule also apply to my new baby?

;)

gretchen will be here at 9 am!!!!!

I don't wax my rails. Now that I have edgerider wheels they also don't build up the black oxidation near as quickly either! I used to have to clean my rails before I unloaded a quilt but now I only have to do it ever 3 or 4 quilts! I use ammonia and that seems to keep it cleaner longer as well. Just don't spill the ammonia...unless you have stuffed up sinus' :P:P:P:P:P:P:P!

I am with you Heidi, I have never waxed my rails. I was taught in classes not to, so I didn't. I know some people that do with the black wheels and I just keep my mouth shut. I will try the ammonia soon - lemon scent - as discussed in a previous post. You are right about the Sinus'!!!!

Thanks Dawn for responding!!!

Archived