Help on custom design

Hi ladies! I'm the queen of topics today, I've got lots of things to ask/share for some reason! :)

I bought this top off ebay to "practice" on. I'd really like to expand from just pantos and free hand stipple and loops. Maybe try some continues curves etc. But I'm a little worried, my quilts don't "speak" to me like they do some of you all. Hope I learn their language soon!! LOL!

Any suggestions? As I've said, so far all I've done is pantos and free hand stipple but am up for anything!!

Thanks again for all your suggestions and encourament!

2431550560105589211S425x425Q85.jpg

2566505790105589211S425x425Q85.jpg

Great quilt top--as for speaking to you--I might suggest taking the online Quilt Whisperer class by Carla Barret. I just finished taking it and it is wonderful!!! The Machine Quilter's Resource site is offering it again in January--and I think she is giving it at MQS in Kansas City in May.

This is a great block for some line dancing--search Diana Philips--I belive her site is Cozy-Creations--but not sure. Line dancing is like continous curve only you might add a little swirl or something somewhere in the curve.

These are just a few jumping off points for you.

The plaid pinwheels would offer an opportunity to try some ruler work -- follow the lines of the plaid to give it texture.

Have you done custom borders, yet? This would be a good one to practice fitting a border and turning a corner.

Swirls are a good beginner custom sashing design that could be done on the white inner border.

Archived