Zippers and Leaders

I'm going to be putting new leaders and zippers on my machine. I'm really looking forward to getting this done.

I quilt only for myself so I'm wondering whether one machine set and two quilt sets are enough and where you all have purchased your zippers?

I'm also wondering if there's anyplace that sells cross grain ribbon that already has the one inch markings on it - you know like a tape measure? I've tried searching on the net but nothing comes up. I really don't want to have to mark the crossgrain ribbon myself - would prefer to buy a cloth tape measure already marked. With so many longarmers these days, you'd think there would be somethinig like this out there. Thanks....Mercedes

I think the 2 extra sets you have would suffice!

I dont know if there is anything on the market that's pre-marked. I too have marked on my zippers. I've often thought of getting a fabric measuring tape and stitching it onto my leaders! I'm contemplating it, but haven't done it yet.

You would stitch it where it rides just above the zipper itself.

I think Sheri answered it all. I too would like my leaders marked. I have gross grain ribbon and it sure would be nice to have it all marked off. I have 2 sets of zippers and I think having 3 sets would be better. I have a flipper set too so that if I put them on wrong I don't have to redo it and also if I want to flip my quilt over I can.

I went to The Quilting Connection and now I'm really confused. There are zipper sets for the following:

Machine Sets

Quilt Sets

Fllip Sets

Full Float Machine Sets

Which ones do I need? I float my quilt top and batting. I thought I just need machine and Quilt sets but???

I don't understand how the flip sets work and whether I need that along with some of the others or if I should just buy the Full float machine sets. Any help would be appreciated. Way too many options for a newbie. Thanks...Mercedes

As I already bought the zippers along time ago, could someone explain to me what if a flip zipper and how does it work.

It appears to be the same kind of zipper but it must be how you attach it that is different.

would someone be willing to show a photo or explain? I didn't buy it from Quilt connection I got them at a show.

Thanks

Brendalee

I have no idea what a flip set is. A machine set is the set of zippers that you sew onto the leaders of your machine. A quilt set is what you pin on to your quilts in order to zip them onto your machine. You get 3 zippers in a quilt set, two for the backing (top & bottom) and one for the quilt top (bottom only). You float the top of the quilt top. I am only guessing, but I think a full float set would be the zippers for the the backing only, if you are one who floats the entire top of the quilt. My advise is to call Sue. She would be the one who could clarify all of that (since she invented them and sells them). Plus, she is very nice and helpful.

Archived