pricing for quilting

I have been asked to complete a tee shirt quilt. This is the first time someone has asked me to do a quilt. What is the best pricing for this? Of course, they are supplying the tee shirts. I was thinking that if they didn't bring the fabric, I would charge them for that at the cost it would cost me. But what about labor? this is my first assignment.

I have done a few quilts, only quilted T-Shirt Quilts, but planning on making on for my son once I get time. Anyway, If they only provide the T-Shirts, or even if they supply fabric, charge them for materials you use, like fusible interfacing. Charge an hourly rate, I charge $15 right now, as I don't have alot of quilts to quilt and I prefer quilting, or working on my own stuff. If they want an estimate GO HIGH!!!! and state that it won't be more than that but it might be less. Quote only after you know what they are providing and only if you have to. Basically figure out how long you think it will take you, times that by 1-1/2 or 2 because we all low ball the time thing, stuff happens and figure out what you want to make. Remember your investment in you equipment. DSM cost big bucks too, just not as much as the longarm.

Best wishes on your Quilt.

Shirley

For t-shirt quilts I have always charged by the shirt and/or the setting. I start at $15/shirt and up. I have the customer wash the shirts and dry them without fabric softner. I provide the stabilizer, fabric and batting, making sure I get the colors that the customer wants. I have some t-shirt quilts on my webshots if you want to take a look.

Like Shirley said your time matters and these quilts are labor intensive. Don't do it for nothing.

I did a search about 2 years ago when I was asked to make two for someone. It seems for a 12" - 15" block most people charged between $15 and $25 a block, which included the fabric and stabilizer. I know that is a large range in price, but I guess it depends on what your market will bear. As it turned out (due to some unusual circumstances) I made the two quilts for just the cost of my supplies, so I didn't make a penny on them. But...that's a long story.

I quilted one for a friend who wanted a large puzzle meander and some freehand stars on a twin size quilt. I charged her $.015 a square inch. She charged the customer $500 and supplied the fabric, stabilizer, thread and batting. She paid me from what she made.

Google T-Shirt Quilts and you'll be surprised at how many sites you will find that offer this service. I used this to price the last quote I gave. Not sure if I will get it, but I quoted $20 per shirt which included the fabric, supplies and panto quilting or meander.

I have seen many online sites who advertise making T-shirt quilts. The average $ I come up with is. $15 per block if quilt has no borders or sashing. $20 per block for sashing & 1 border. The customer provides the shirts also.

This does not include batting or backing, this is additional to the block price.

Terry

Archived