New George Owner in Maryland

Patty Estey

At the moment I'm a bit overwhelmed. I tested George several times. I always sat down to a machine that was already adjusted and already threaded. What a surprise when you are setting it up yourself.

I have already found sulky blendables not so easy to use. Breaks alot. But have found Rayon works like a dream. Any hints on thread anyone cares to share.

Thanks, Patty

hi - welcome. i'm sure someone with a george will chime in...

in the meantime, i have a freesom sr and i have found it is MOST IMPORTANT to have a thin thread in the bobbin, regardless of what i have in the top. i tried a 3 ply/35 weight in my bobbin and it was a disaster. i switched back to bottom line or sofine and all is right in lola's world once again. just my observation.

Hi Patty,

I have always had trouble with Sulky Blendables if I try to use the same thread in the bobbin. As Meg said, above, use a lighter weight (higher number) thread in the bobbin, preferably Bottom Line or another 50/60 weight---match the top and bottom colors as closely as possible. Don't try to match the thread to the backing fabric, either. Then you can probably make the Sulky work

I like most of the Superior Threads, but recently have begun using Floriani, which I like a lot. They are poly, have some sheen, but not too high and are really hard to break. They were actually made for machine embroidery but they quilt beautifully. You probably will have to get them at a large quilt show or buy online. I haven't seen them at many quilt shops, but I could be wrong. I also like the Madiera poly neons, but if you are bent on using cotton, try King Tut for variegated and Aurifil for solid-again, lighter weight in the bobbin, even cotton on top, poly on the bottom.

Hope this helps,

Claudia Myers

Thanks so much. I will play with the bobbin thread too. I should have thought of that. I use bottom line all the time in my Bernina. I was hoping to just be instantly good on the George and know I realize it will take time and practice getting use to a new machine.

It is very nice to know that there are knowledge quilters out there willing to share info. Thanks again.

Patty

Hi Patty, I have a George and LOVE him. I use signature thread, basically, in my machine. I also use the same in the bobbin. I have tried others and don't get good results with them. I use a 3.5 needle with that thread. I have used YLI thread with a 4. needle, but a lighter weight thread in the bobbin. I get the bobbin about where I think it should be, then loosen the top tension and start to change that until I get a good result. I also bought more bobbin cases, so I have one for each thread weight I use and find I do not have to adjust bobbin tensions as much.

I think it is a matter of getting to know your machine and what he likes. Good luck with your new adventure. Judy

Hi Patty:

Good advice, dear Shana, but I can say from personal experience that it is very difficult to 'play and have fun' when your thread is breaking every 2 inches! I'm a George owner in Tucson AZ. Just returned home from a trip & read your post, Patty. I was pretty proficient on my Bernina & Brother and I REALLY underestimated the learning curve I would experience when I got George home. That was 2 years ago and now I can sew happily with almost any thread. I have not tried Sulky blendables on him so I cannot address your immediate problem.

Here is my advice to you...search the forum for Dawn Cavanaugh's advice on threads & tension. She was so helpful to me in the early months when I wanted to use all the cotton threads I had been using on my domestic machines. I recommend that you invest in some cones of So Fine thread from Superior. George absolutely loves it. It is a 50 weight polyester thread with a matte finish so it looks like cotton. I use it very often in the top and bobbin. It will run beautifully in George and give you a chance to build up your confidence. There IS a learning curve but I'll be here to encourage you as will other George & apqs owners. Please feel free to email me if you have any George-specific questions.

Nowadays I can run a variety of needle sizes and thread weights...George is everything I had hoped for! Try not to get discouraged, don't be afraid to loosen top & bobbin tensions significantly and believe that it will get better!

Best to you, Nancy in Tucson

Welcome, Patty, to the wonderful world of George and APQS!

I also have George. I haven't had a lot of different thread to try out yet. But am learning that the finer thread in the bobbin is good, and when trying to set the tension I have now learned (because of someone here) to loosen the top tension to ugly loose, then start to tighten it until you get the good tension.

so far I have usually been using King Tut, but do want to try some others when I have other quilts to do.

I live in Montgomery Village, Maryland. Thank you for all the responses. Nancy you are so right on - I did underestimate the learning curve. I am also very proficient on my Bernina & my Brother. It is encouraging to hear you ladies have to say. I just returned from a 3 day quilting retreat with my guild and I ready to work with George. I'll let you know how it goes. And I'll look up

Dawn Cavanaugh.

Thank you all.

Patty

Archived