Help with Leaders

I've printed and read all the documentation on leaders including the one I put together. What I don't understand is the best say to measure so the leaders are centered on the rollers. Do you measure each roller and mark the center mark and assume when you apply the leaders to the rollers that they will all line up?

When I look at the rollers, I wonder if this will really center all he leaders since the rollers could be screwed in differently and maybe the center lines won't match up. This is probably clear as mud but I'm assuming if they don't line up, when you try to square the leaders that won't work either because they all aren't centered on the rollers to start with. Mercedes

Mercedes. The leader for the take up is marked in the center at the factory. The others are not marked for the reason you specify. When screwed in the centers may not match up. After you assemble the table, you mark the remaining leaders based on the mark on the take up leader. You don't need to worry about the sides and if they are equal. Your concern should be just the center mark. So no, you don't mark each one individually in the center. You work off the take up roller and mark the others based on it.

Over time the leaders can become distorted or off center. You can remark the centers on the quilt top and back rollers. Use a piece of painters tape and place on the leaders in the center area, then pull the leader out to match up with the take up leader and mark the tape evenly with the center mark on the take up leader. then do the same for the other leader. Clear as mud????:D

Sorry I don't understand. You said "you mark the remaining leaders based on the mark on the take up leader. Am I marking the leaders or the rollers? If rollers, how do I mark their center based on the center of te leader for the tape up?

And if just the leaders is marked - how do I mark where the leaders is positioned on the roller? Mercedes

You mark the leaders. What I do is unroll the take up roller so it lays on the table, then unroll the quilt back leader and pull it up to the take up roller on top of the table top, then mark the center on it based on the center of the take up roller. Then repeat the process with the other leader.

Are you trying to replace existing leaders and get them centered? If so, I would get the take up leader positioned in the center the best I can, then unroll it to the table top again. Use the center of the table (there is a tape measure on the table so you can find center) to mark that leader. Then i would just position the other leaders on each roller and follow the instructions in my previous post the mark the center position on the leader.

OK, I think I understand it now.

Is it better to serge the sides of the leaders or turn them under and topstitch first? I know they can't be left with the raw edge and it appears from the documents I've been reading, people do it either way. Is one better then the other?

Thanks....Mercedes

Are the sides raw edge or a selvedge type seam. I have not seen the replacement leaders yet. If raw edge, I would serge. If you fold under the sides and hem, then as you roll the leaders up onto the roller, the rolled under hem will be bulkier and will not roll evenly.

The front edge where you pin, can be done either way, whichever your prefer.

Archived