I'm in big trouble

Press the piece you have just sewn, then, as mentioned, fold your paper along the next seam line you will be sewing and trim it 1/4 inch past the line.

LEAVE THE PAPER FOLDED...and from the fabric edge that you have just trimmed, measure the widest part of the piece to be added next. Keep your ruler perpendicular to the seam you just trimmed to take this measurement. I use a rotary cutting ruler to take this measurement, but you don't have to. Just remember that the measurement must be taken at a 90 degree angle from the seam allowance. Add at least 1/2 inch to that measurement.

LEAVE THE PAPER FOLDED, and measure parallel to the 1/4 inch trimmed piece, across the widest part of the paper that will be covered by the next piece. Add at least 1/2 inch to that measurement.(I add 3/4 to i inch), and cut a rectangle of fabric to those dimensions. WITH THE PAPER STILL FOLDED, line up your rectangle with the 1/4 inch seam allowance, making sure you have positioned it so that you have seam allowance extending past the outermost points of the paper. Flip your paper out flat again, and sew. Works every time.

Notice that in this method, you are only trimming one layer of fabric BEFORE adding your next piece...then you are aligning a strait cut along that edge when you add your next piece. I love paper piecing. Once you master it, its the otherwise imprecise piecer's best friend!

Lynn

Archived