I'm in big trouble

I have worked all day on the paper piecing part of my MQS quilt, so far, I have nothing to show for it except a messy living room :mad: I'm not having fun....I thougth quilting was suppose to be fun :o So, I'm thinking of going back to making clothing, it was easier to cover up a mistake. I have wasted way too much fabric today. I keep thinking $10/yard, $10/yard...I guess the bright side is, it's only cotton, not silk.

I have put together 3 New York Beauties...that ain't :D Mostly I didn't cut my fabric pieces large enough, so some worked and then some had the corners cut off so that the piece didn't reach...you know...it happens to every paper piecer. This is nothing unusual, but I am so mad I could start cussing...or drinking...and at a moment like this I'm wondering why I never took either one of those nasty habits up in the first place :P

Mary Beth,

Paper piecing can make a girl crazy. I literally hated it until I took a class with Carol Doak. My lovely guild mates told her I hated paper piecing and her mission was to change my mind. I did learn a lot of tips and tricks from her and I did enjoy it a lot more. I've forgotten what most of those tips were now but I'm sure it will come back to when when it is a new century and have time to piece again.

On a good note my thread finally stopped breaking and I got a lot done. I'm happier. I need to take a few more days off my day job so that I can get it done!

I'm glad things worked out for you Heidi, I know that can be totally frustrating.

I stopped for today...since it was for nothing anyway and will start cutting fabric tomorrow night when I get home from work. I plan to cut it larger than needed so there won't be any problems...hopefully...from here on out. I have had a class on paper piecing, but haven't done it in a long time. I liked it back then....Not so much today.

I'm just feelings some pressure. I will just take a chill pill...not really, don't have that vice either...dang, I am to boring;)

MB I feel your pain too, I know NY beauties are very tricky but they are sooo worth it in the end. I love them too, in fact I have one on my frame right now that I am working on. btw what does it cost to enter quilts in MQS and do they have to get accepted by pictures first. I have never put any in and thought I might try this year if it isnt too late yet.

I went to Montana a couple years ago and took a Judy Neimeyer pp course and that changed me forever on the technique. She has you chain piecing those things in no time and every piece is cut the right size. Well worth the trip down! :)

Before that tho I was in your situation where I never knew if the piece was going to be the right size or not....and the amount of wasted fabric drove me crazy!

Rita

I always hated doing paper piecing, I could never get the fabric cut the right size or anything lined up until one of my quilting friends who loves to paper piece showed me a few tips and tricks in getting the job done properly. It's all about the tools....I used an "add a quarter" ruler which totally made it easy to get accurate seam allowances, use a Clover mini iron for pressing each seam, a postcard for flipping the paper over on itself to get a sharp crease so you can cut the 1/4" seam allowance. There is now a new gadget to use instead of the postcard called an "add enough" which doubles as a measuring tool for cutting accurate pieces of fabric and for folding the paper over to cut the seam allowance. Also, stitch your sewing lines a few stitches before and past the stitching lines, use a fine thread and set your machine to take small stitches. I have been using a very fine 100 wt poly to stitch the seams...Invisifil by Wonderfil Threads, the stitching simply disappears in the fabric fibers.

Once I was shown to use these tools and tips, I pieced a 12" block in no time...it was actually fun to do and very precise. I now enjoy paper piecing. The rulers are made by CM Designs, out of Colorado... website www.addaquarter.com Check out the tutorial they have on their website.

I hope this helps.

Mary Beth

My Blooming Beauty was all paper pieced with very few hassles.

I cut my strips of fabric 1/2" wider than the widest part I was piecing. Fold back the paper and cut the last sewn piece 1/4" past the fold ( that is where you use the add a quarter ruler). Then line up the next strip with the 1/4' and sew on - of course you need to be sure you have it overhang enough top and bottom.

I soon learnt to flip the strip and saved even more fabric.

Come on you CAN DO IT.

Lyn

I have to do it. Right now I have 3 that will have holes if I just say...forget It, I'm using them. But I just can't do that. Let me just say....I'm not a perfectionist by nature, that is why I liked PP when I took the class. It made my piecing look so good. But this is kicking my butt. I don't have a lot of time, we have to post a picture by March 19 of, at least a top that looks like what it is suppose to look like. Then I have to turn it in when I go over to deliver people to the convention center. I should have been doing this a long time ago...now I'm whinning. I hate that. Thank you all for letting me vent.

Jeanne,

Here is the write up in the MQS catalogue for entering quilts:

"We are encouraging you to process your quilt entries online. Go to www.IMQA.org then click on the MQS Logo. You will receive an immediate confirmation and your payment will be processed by our secure online service. Fees for online entries will be $10 for IMQA members and $15 for non-members. For paper copy entries the fees will be $12 for IMQA members and $17 for non-members. A printable entry form will be available online.

Deadline for ALL entries will be March 19, 2010."

Jeanne, you must send in an entry form and a picture of your quilt by that deadline. All entries are accepted.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Looking forward to seeing one (or more) of your quilts there.

Hey Mary Beth, I found this at the bottom of the entry form. Forgive me for the huge text... it is just how i copied and pasted it...

In my humble opinion, if time is of the essence, I think you could probably get away with a photo of the full quilt top and a close up showing partial quilting done on it. Probably don't need to have it 100% completed; just proof enough that you are in good progress of completing it.

PS: I will be entering an MQS "south of the border" theme quilt, too! :) It's all for fun. Really. I don't expect a ribbon or anything. I just like to do it for fun. And because I won't be at MQS this year, at least I will be there in spirit (and in quilt form! :P)

post--13461903405327_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived