Question on feather flow

I need help...when you are doing all over feathers or any design I guess...how do you determine what directions to go so that the designs look flowing and not like you just "added" a stem here and there to fill in an area. Any hints in flow would be helpful. Is there something that clicked for you that you remember helped? Thanks in advance! I am really struggling with this and yes I doodle on paper all the time, not helping when I get to the quilt.:(

No "expert flow-er" here but for me I always premark with chalk where I'm going. If I have a spine then I can go from there. If I'm just doing a meandering feather then I just keep telling myself, big meander and start stitching. IF you know there are areas where you want something specific draw it on and then go for it. Another thing you can do, say you want a butterfly scattered all over the quilt randomly. Well cut out circles the size of the butterfly and just scatter them on the quilt. Trace around the circle and then when you hit a circle do your butterfly. It will look random and you will get the look you are going for. I also like to draw targets if my piecing doesn't give me a target.

Here is a link to Suzanne Earley's work....she is a master in what you are asking... and actually has two books.

http://suzanneearley.net/salt-creek-quilt-company/

I had the pleasure of taking two classes from her at MQX last year and she took not only the fear of doing feathers, but answered my question (which was your question) perfectly....

Originally posted by carolinequilts

Does anyone use a soft wave ruler for stitching the spines for feathers?

You sure can, but when you do that your rows are to perfect and uniform. With the wondering feathers you want some pretty deep valley's and hills so that they seem to fit together better. Or at least that's what I learned...and I have to say its very pretty. Much more so than the perfect ones I was getting with a wave ruler.

I was so surprised to see so many hits on my website today from the APQS forum that I just had to come see why my ears were burning.

And now that I'm here...I started to answer the question, and then realized I was going to be answering a different question than what you actually asked. LOL

Now that I've reread it -- if you are trying to fill a space with feathers (or other motifs), then yes -- I would suggest doing some preplanning. Just because I freehand, doesn't necessarily mean I completely wing it. I might use a marking pen to give myself some initial guidelines, or I might use my Meandering Magic technique -- where I stitch a large meander in the space, and then use that as my spine.

The nice thing about setting up a quilt with the meander FIRST and then going back and filling it in with your motif is that you've already done the hard part of deciding how to travel around the space. Now...you can focus on quilting beautiful feathers (or leaves or whatever)!

HOpe this helps, and if I still didn't really answer what you were asking, you are welcome to drop me an e-mail (suzanne at suzanneearley dot net)

Bonnie - I don't have a soft wave template. It looks like you do not prefer one, but would rather freehand your feather spines. Is this what is normally done?

I found this at a Longarm supply store in Canada. Maybe it would be a waste of money? Thanks,

https://www.canadianlongarmsupplies.com/index.php?crn=212&rn=1767&action=show_detail

Archived