Those blessed Feathers

I am sooooo happy!! To all of us Newbies struggling with feathers, go to you-tube and watch Karen McTavish. It's the one where she's showing heirloom feathers and she's at quilt festival. Watch it over and over and over and then draw. It is amazing!!! I put a couple of old sheets and a mattress pad on my baby ( so as not to waste any thing ) and WOW!!!!! I could hardly sleep because all I wanted to do was make feathers!! I gotta figure out how to post pics soon. When I get done playing, I have a couple of tops that will be perfect!!! Can you tell I'm really excited!!

Thank you Karen!!! You are a genius!!

Sheryl:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Go to youtube.com and type in Karen Mctavish. A bunch of her video will come up and it's the one "artist Karen McTavish showcases victorian feathers". In the discription it will mention APQS and the 2009 quilt festival in Houston. She is wearing black. That's the best way to describe it to you. Check out all of them though, they are very interesting. I go back and forth from between here to youtube. Lots of great info. I watched it quite a few times and then started drawing. I'm pumped!!! And I've only had one cup of coffee!! Good luck and let me know what you think.

Sheryl:D:D:D

Guess I'd better get watching it then so that I can really get inspired! Because I am determined to learn how to do beautiful feathers! I think part of my problem is that I can do some halfway decent ones when I practice on muslin, but I'm totally scared to death to even consider trying to sew one when I get an actual quilt on my frame. I even practiced drawing them for over an hour on Saturday as we were driving to Minneapolis to go to the RV show.

But maybe I'll get braver soon and really try it.................I have volunteered to quilt 15 lap quilts that our ladies church group make during Lent. They make more than that (35 - 40 of them) but I didn't want to commit to that much time. But I figured I could do my part this way and it will also give me plenty of quilts to practice new things on. Guess I'd better get up some courage soon.

Oh Marilyn--Check it out please. I put an old navy sheet on with white thread and I'm filling it up with feathers. They aren't perfect by any means but I see great potential. It just makes me giggle!!:D:D This will make a nice blankie to cover up with when I'm done. I'm so happy that it doesn't even bother me that I goofed up a baby quilt that I'm making for a friend at work. I used the measurements to start out with and it's now a full size quilt. OOPS! Oh well, it goes well in one of my bedrooms that is painted purple and it just gives me more to practice on!:D Better get to work!!

Sheryl

Those Victorian feathers are beeeuuuuutifullllll!!!!!! I watched the You Tube video twice, but better yet, I got to take Karen McT's Victorian feathers class at Rd. 2 CA. It was a lecture class, but no matter...I'm now drawing pretty (to me!) feathers. Before that class I couldn't draw a pretty feather, much less quilt one. A little more drawing practice and I'll be trying them out on a real quilt.....OK, first try will be practice on the guild's community baby quilts. :)

Archived