panto technique question

My customer wants the Popcorn panto on her quilt AND she wants to fold the back over the top to make the binding when it's done. So....do I start and stop carefully staying within the quilt top? Or do I just mimic the panto freehand from the front so I can see to stay within the top edges better? I think my freehand quilting looks better, but it won't be as uniform as following a panto. How would you do it?

Thanks

Annie,

I would just mark with tape onto the table where the edge of your quilt is and when you get there, just watch the needle and the edge of the fabric and stop or go along the edge to the next place the needle enters the pattern..just eye the edges when you get there. (Hope that makes sense)..

Freehand will work better for this application IMHO.

Since most of us must baste the edges of the top to successfully stitch a panto, that basting line will show on the back when she does the wrap-around binding.

Do you charge the same for pantos and freehand?

If she wants the panto, tell her you will charge her extra for removing the basting stitches on the edges unless she wants to do that chore herself. As for stitching the panto--go ahead and baste the top/sides, over-stitch the panto beyond the basting line just a few stitches, drag the thread to the next entry-point, and begin the next line. Painter's tape on the panto cover marking the edge of the top will aid in keeping in the right area. After all is stitched, any over-stitching can be picked out just to the basting line and dabbed with Fray Check--or you may knot and bury (remember to charge for this service). As you can see, this method takes more time/effort and should be charged extra for--and she thought a panto would be cheaper!!;)

I wondered about spray basting. The batt is a puffy poly though, I didn't think the spray baste would be very effective. My basting for a panto is a wide zig zag, so it's going to be easy to take out. Unfortunately, my eye sight wasn't so good at spotting where the top edge of the quilt was. I stitched off that edge more than I wanted to. Did better on the sides and bottom. I think my customer will be happy.

I have 2 customers that I do this for all the time. I redraw the beginning and end of the row so I can 'loop' or swirl to stop. I just pin baste since I will not go all the way to the edge. Most times it works. In the rare case where it does not I will end with a single line off the edge and lock that stitch, beginning the same way for consistency.

Good Luck - and let us know how it goes.

Archived