Star of Bethlehem...looking for assistance

Hello once again. I have a Star of Bethlehem quilt and am posting the pic from the pattern. The customer is looking to have it quilted differently from the pattern example. Her colors are more tourquoise, red, blues... She would like rays coming out from the paper pieced 'star spikes' - I'm so technically incorrect :P

Question I have is what then happens further out? The star is cc'd, the rays are in the center, and while we discussed feathers or rays for the outside of the star. The rays didn't work for her as I sketched some of ranae's type quilting. Has anyone done one of these they'd like to share a link to on webshots and will feathering work. The border will be done with lines following the piecing angle. (I've spent hours out there looking at the 800 photos that came up for lone star...)

Appreciate all your help. I've done ONE lone star that I feathered and loved. But this quilt has a more modern look to it than the one I did before.

post--13461903565933_thumb.jpg

I should have mentioned that she's not too fond of dense quilting. She really wanted it to draw the eye along the lines of the star, up and out. I'm thinking maybe I repeat the piecing into the outer edges but I'm not real fond of that either. Guess I'm just drawing a complete blank....Will have to keep doodling...and doodling...and doodling...

Archived