What books to read for a new quilter

Congratulations on your new long arm! :)

My all time favorite book that covers so many topics is:

Ultimate Guide to Longarm Machine Quilti: How to Use ANY Longarm Machine Techniques, Patterns & Pantographs Starting a Business Hiring a Longarm Machine Quilter

by Linda V. Taylor

Hello and Welcome Leisel,

I also have Linda Taylor's book. There is also Carol A Thelens '" Long-arm Machine Quilting, The complete guide to chosing, using and maintaining a long arm machine."

Lee Cleland's "Quilting makes the Quilt" has wonderful ideas and variations.

Karen McTavish also has books that are great!

DeLoa Jones has various books and DVDs. I love her stuff as well.

I am a visual person. I find things easier to understand if I see them performed in front of me. I would highly recommend DVDs, Kim Brunner's "Machine Quilting for Beginners" is excellent. Myrna Ficken also has DVDs for beginners, which is also excellent.

I have both and watched them many times and still get something new out of them. Both are fabulous teachers an you will not regret getting these tools.

For feathers, Kimmy, Claudia Pfeil and Myrna have great DVDs and then there is Sharon Schambers. Her method is different. As with all longarming, you will have to find the way that suits your personality and brain best. Some like the bump-bump feathers, others prefer the way Sharon does hers. Remember, there are no right or wrong ways of quilting, only what suits you best.

Books are great but remember that most of them have to come from the States, so you will pay lots in postage. I prefer to get the DVDs and safe my pennies, so I can buy even more. I have the books on the shelf but it is the DVDs that I turn to continually. (It is great to sit down with a cuppa and watch your favourite pasttime on TV and you can call it WORK! or Learning! ;):D)

I don't think you will be able to find anyone on this site who would have a negative thing to say about any of the Titles mentioned above.

Don't forget that you also have Utube available. There is sooooo much quilting stuff there. Start with the APQS site and then work your way through the hundreds of other instructors.

All the best,

Thankyou Angie and Susanne!!!

I have just ordered the book by Linda Taylor and one of Karen Mc Tavish books , it looks amazing and way out of my leage but something to aspire to.

Susanne, I am also a visual person so I will be looking into some DVD,s great idea thankyou.

Many thanks Leisel:)

I am a newbie too.... I concur with Susanne's recommendations. I have both Myrna's & Kimmie's DVD's, and they are both awesome.... well worth the money. Dawn Cavanaugh's videos on Youtube are also excellent. You will find lots of help there. I have also recently discovered the MQResource website, and joined as a Premier member. The online videos you will find there in the Premier section are done by Deb Levy... she is an excellent teacher, and those videos were worth every penny of the membership fee. I've watched some of them several times, and always learn something new from them.

Congratulations on your new machine! and welcome to the forum!

Archived