Base Expander - which one to use!!!

When I bought my Millie I also bought the Hartley Base Expander. I have tried to use it but each time I just get disgusted and take it right back off. When I have it on I find that I only have about six inches of working area before it strikes either the leveling bar or the top bar. I know some of you longarmers must be using a base expander of some kind and I would like to know what kind you use and what kind of working area it allows you. Also if any of you are using the Hartley Expander please let me know your secrets on how to use it with success. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I don't have a lot of hair left. Thanks, Crafttlady

My husband made one for me out of plexiglass. I love it!! It is larger than those on the market as it is 17 inches wide allowing me to have a very stable surface for longer rulers and other templates. It also didn't cost much to make. jeri

Craftylady. I use my Hartley base expander Check you bars to be sure you do not have them set too low. On the quilt leveling bar I test it from the back of the machine. I set it to where just my fingers go under to the first knuckle. On you quilt top roller the base will go under just a bit. But not completely I personally don't want to quilt that close to the bar when doing ruler or guide work

Another tip for you base users. When I set up a machine I add another one of the flattest washers under the thread cutter plate. This get the plate up to the level it needs to be for using a base and ruler. . Another tip before you slide your base on make sure you remove the two white from tabs ? on the left side of your machine throat. ( the left side from the front)

Hope this helps and is not confusing.

Myrna

I love the Rulermate, sold by Donita Reeve at www.lovetoquilt.com. Her store is Huckleberry Quiltworks. The rulermate replaces the needleplate on the machine and screws on so it is very stable. It is just the right size and you can leave it on all the time if you want.

No affiliation, just a happy user!

Cathy in NC, the Quilting Cowgirl

Thanks to all who answered. And a special thanks to Myrna, my leveling bar and top bar were too low. DH took care of that last night by raising each of them about a quarter inch. Now I have plenty of working area. I knew the Hartley expander was made for my APQS, you just gotta know all the little secrets. Thanks for the forum and all those who are willing to help and just to show my appreciation I am baking peanut butter cookies today. DH and I will eat a couple cookies for each of you. Many thanks, Crafttlady

I too use the "Rulermate" made by Donita Reeve. It is all one piece across the top of the needle plate and thread cutter. It is very stable and smooth. It has an added advantage for the APQS in that it is less expensive than for the other brands. Take a peek at the pictures on Donita's site.

Guest Linda S

I also ended up buying a RulerMate. My Hartley base slips off way too easily. I would usually hear a loud crash and there it would be, on the floor! A few times it even tried to separate me from a few of my toes. :o I should sell the Hartley base. Perhaps it would fit better on someone else's machine.

Linda

I use my Hartley Base table - works great! I did find that I needed another

washer under the plate by my thread cutter to make it more level with the

base / table. I also do pull out those little white plugs on the left hand side

of my machine head - before putting the base on. I find this helps is just sit

right there where it belongs.

I have an older version that does not have the space filled in behind my

thread cutter / base plate. So I made a little peice to stick in there out of

1/4" acrylic. Drilled holes here the screws head pop up and it now sits right

in there. I have found that is wants to move around sometimes when I

am doing LOTS of ruler work. So I roll a piece of masking tape and stick it in

there - no more moving around!

Hey Myrna -

I purchased my machine used from a shop owner that I worked for. She

closed-up her shop and moved to another state. Which was all at a really

good time for me. I had the money - I would need a job - so instead of

quilting for somebody elses business, I started my own.

She included everything that she had. Prewounds bobbins and such. She

kept all of the rulers and template, because she still has the HQ16. I think

she only used this table a couple of times. Never did ruler work, didn't like

it. Oh - but I do! Love it! And the Hartley fence, I think she used that once

or twice. Most people would bring in their quilts and just say "oh - just

do the cheepest thing" when you ask how they want it quilted.

I don't think I would want a bigger table though, this is very comfortable.

You would still need to stay close by the foot / needle to stay in control.

Archived