Echo Quilting - HELP

Giftedhands

I have a huge Hawaiin Style quilt to quilt for a customer. She wants it "simple". The person who made the quilt hand quilted around the appliqued motif to stabilize the quilt. Leaving all the rest of the quilt open. (this means the batting and the backing are already attached). I have mounted the quilt on the machine, and have tried to start echo'ing around and in the motifs.

Here's the problem Curves, lots them, and unlike straight edges up/down and side to side, the machine is fighting me. Any suggestions? I've tried installiing the base that came with my micro drive, and quilting using an acrylic guide ruler. It's not working.

Suggestions, please!!!!

Cynthia (sweating it...)

Cynthia,

I have found that I have pretty good control with just using a needle guide to maneuver the machine and use the foot as my spacing. I use my right hand to push/pull the machine on the regular handle and "steer" with my left and the needle guide. Hope this helps.

Patty

Cynthia:

Like Sherry, this is one I did years and years ago on the old shortarm I had. I didn't do the perfectly spaced echo either . . just whatever I felt like making and then echoed out from there to do something else.

The pictures posted here are beautiful...I hate to echo, but that little tool in one of the pictures looks like it might help. I have a straight ruller with a little hole in the end and a slit. I think you are suppose to use it for SID or better control, however, the only time I have used it was the first week I had my machine and it hopped when my hopping foot didn't and I almost seen stars!!

One of the biggest problems I see here is the fact that the backing, batting and top are already together - doesn't that make for a difficult situation?? Seems like it to me.

Mary Beth

Archived