Soft-mount vs. Edgerider wheels

Hi everyone,

I have been working to get my machine to flow without squaring off any curves, and still aren't completely happy with the results. I do believe I have the soft-mount wheels, but was wondering if I would get better results from the edgerider wheels. After spending as much as I did on the machine--what's another $160 to actually get a great result. I had a Voyager 17 before and it was set up differently, but it glided like butter and I really miss that! Anyone out there have any suggestions or comments about whether or not the edgerider wheels would help?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Luv2kwilt

APQS MILLENNIUM

Hi Luv2kwilt,

I don't have edgerider wheels but I have had square curves.

Before you spend anymore on wheels, check a couple of things.

Is you machine level? Use a level in a couple of places to

verify level north-south and east-west.

Above each wheel is the cam. If thread gets caught, it winds

around he cam and squares off curves. You might have to

get under your rollers to see for sure. My worst wheel for

thread wrapping is the front right.

If that isn't the problem, then I'm sure one of the other

quilters will be ale to help you out on the wheels.

Guest Linda S

You can also loosen those cams a bit -- look in the manual, it will tell you how. If you loosen them way too much, the stitch regulator won't work quite right, but you can loosen them to get a more even glide on the machine. Most machines arrive from the factory with them set a bit tight -- probably because they have big strong folks there putting together and lifting and packing those machines! ;) Once you do that, try practicing for a few days and see how you feel. $160 can buy a lot of thread, or templates, or rulers, or pantos, etc!

Linda

Hi,

This is often a problem. Getting your wheels just right as Linda suggested and practicing should erase your square circles. It's usually a beginner thing!!! We've all been there. You'll be making wonderful round circles before you know it and won't have to spend anymore money. Enjoy your fabulous machine!;)

• 3 months later...

Hi Luv2quilt,

I am a new liberty owner and just love my machine. Having problems with square circles though. I used to quilt with a hinty stretch and round circles were a breeze from day one. I miss that. It is harder for me when following a panto. I have adjusted my wheels which did help. Have your circles improved with practice? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

uncquilter

Hi Luv2quilt:)

I asked Mark from A.P.Q.S about the edge rider wheels, and he said that the APQS folks tested them & they work great........BUT they found that if you leave your machine of for a few days, when you come back you have

little bumps/dents where the wheels were resting on the rails, now he didn't say if or when those bumps/dents ever went away, but he did say the if I had the black wheels (my milli. was second-hand) that they are new, & should last for years.

B T W there are loads of old threads about wheel problems.......just click on the search at the top of the page & type in "squared circles", or edgerider, or wheel ajustment, somthing to that affect, & read the old threads, you'll be amazed how many people have had the same problems.

Also in your manual, there is a section on wheel adjustments, I would play around with that first, before spending a dime on new wheels.

Best of luck, smooth round circels are just around the corner...:P:P:P sorry about the pun

• 1 month later...

I just read your first email about square circles. I certainly had that in the beginning, too. Just know that you can adjust that away. It is very, very frustrating in the beginning. The key is the wheel adjustment. Read the section in the manual about wheel adjustment. I think, not only do they have to be adjusted exactly the same place on the cam, but the front and the back adjustments have to work together to produce round curves. That's where the tinkering comes into play. Keep at it. You will find the right combination, and don't give up and try to yank the machine around the corners. That just makes you mad.

I'd love to hear from you.

Archived