Quilting around Embroidery HELP!

Calling all experts. My mom is making wall quilts for both my niece and son for their upcoming wedding gifts. Busy year for the family this year. Embroidering flowers on different squares of cream silk/cotton sateen and has tear away backing on the squares. She'll put the squares together and wants me to quilt them. Same fabric for backing.

Question 1: Is the tear away behind the fabric removed and left only on the embroidery? She thinks it can be quilted with the tear away - I don't think so. Help please.

Question 2: Best batting to use - wool?

Question 3: How to quilt around the embroidery - clear monopoly thread around embroidery and then using a cream poly to match the fabric color for all the feathers I'll probably do?

Any suggestions and/or ideas will be super appreciated!

Thanks!

The tear away will only be under the embroidery. I have done several with embroidery on them. I have quilted over the embroidery in a couple of wall hangings for myself and that looked OK. She needs to do the embroidery and then square up her blocks because the embroidery will pull the material in some.

I have quilted through the tearaway without any problem. I would probably use a double batting one being a QD poly or something like warm and natural. Then the one on top wouldn't need to be thick but rather something that will let the quilting show such as wool. I would make sure I tore away as much of the stablilzer as possible so that you don't have hard spots around the embroidery design.

I have quilted around the embroidery before. I would just use the same thread as you will on the outer edge of the embroidered block. I don't quilt over the design itself (my preference for looks) but do come closer around it.

Here is a block I just did last week. I made the embroidery and the quilt. This was a prayer quilt, so the long threads are for church members to pray as they tie knots in the thread. Without the knots, I would go between the words of the embroidery just to hold it a bit.

post--13461903718979_thumb.jpg

I do a lot of embroidery (it's part of my business). She should remove the excess tearaway. You can quilt through it, but if the quilt is going to be washed, it's best to remove the tearaway. If she makes more quilts, I recommend that she us a washaway stabilizer. When quilting, I treat the embroidery just like I do applique. Have fun, you'll do a great job.

Awesome help - thank you. This is a new venture and since it's two different wedding gifts for two very important people to me and my mom - I want to do the best job quilting them. I'll check w/her to see if they're wall hangings or quilts that will be washed at some time - then she can decide what type of stabilizer.

Again, thank you!

Archived