Calling Houston Quilters

I Chris,

I just wanted to jump in here (no imput about Houston) and say what a pleasure it was to meet you at MQX. I really enjoyed dinner on Thursday where so many APQS'ers were able to attend. I hope you continue to enjoy your stay in the USA, and that you don't have too much inconvenience getting home, due to the volcanic ash in the air.

My daughter lived in Houston for awhile, so I checked out several quilt shops! Do you have a car? I can tell you the addresses and you can mapquest how to get there from where you are. You should probably call to see if they are still there, it was several years ago that I was there, but they are really nice shops! It's A Stitch , in Humble. address is 9759 FM 1960 Bypass Phone (281)446-4999. That shop is one of the NEATEST I've been in!! LOTS of stuff!! Quilt 'N Sew Studio in Katy , address 1841 N. Mason Rd. phone,(281)347-0470 Really good too!! Front Porch Quilts, address 5050 FM 1960 W., #127 Houston. Phone, (281)444-2882 There is a web site listed in my book web.wt.net/~FPQUILTS/ Now this book is old, so I don't know if that would be the web site or not...doesn't look like a regular address for a web page? Another one that is listed in my book, but I didn't get to is in Houston, Great Expectations Quilts, address14090 Memorial Drive phone(713)496-1366 . Hope some of these are still there and that it will help you pass the time you have. Another neat place to go is to Spring , Texas. It is just outside of Houston too. Neat little craft shops and there was a fabric store in there too, but I don't have the name of it. You ask anyone around there about Spring, and they probably will be able to tell you about it and how to get there..

Some of those shops are gone. Great Expectations is not a shop anymore, it belongs to the founder of the Houston Market and Festival, she's has something else going on there now. Here is a link to this years Shop Hop which took place several weeks ago. There are more shops I'm sure but these are the ones that took part in the hops. Hope this helps! I wish I'd know you were here!

http://www.houstonshophop.com/participating_shops.html

Front Porch is gone, I son't know what happened. I loved that one, too! Quakertown now has a location in the Woodlands, too. Painted Pony is AWESOME!!!!! I wish Quilts By The Bay could come back, I soooooooooo miss that shop. I live in Alvin, just south of Houston. you can Mapquest it. We are almost close enough to be part of Houston, but not so far south that you can tell where one town stops and the next starts. Houston Metro is so big that if you see the sign that says you are leaving one town you'll see the one that says you are entering the next withing about 2 feet. Different towns, but it's all Houston!

Thanks girls for your suggestions on things to do. Fortunately, I do have some hand sewing to get on with.

Hilarious, the first thing I had to do was go shopping for some clothes. Having been where jumpers jeans and boots were required I was desperately in need of shorts, t-shirt and flip flops.

Donna. Wish we were closer. Colorado is great. Could do with some of your metereological input now and predict when we might be home. How many more clothes do I need to buy?? :P

Hi Chris, Linzi, Tracy and any other UK quilters stuck in America.

Sounds like you are making the most of being stuck over there, although I can think of worse places to be stuck! Sounds like at least you are not stuck at the airport!

I hope you all arrive home safely soon !! Hopefully the flights will get back to normal once they get the backlog taken care of !!

Happy shopping !!!

:)

Archived