SR pause/Needle up-down

hi everyone -

i hope i can splain what i mean here...

i am doing ruler work (deloa's little one finally working for SID) and i pause the stitch regulator by using clutch-blue button on right hand when i am moving the ruler along.

:o my question is...

is there a trick to getting it to stop in needle down position so i don't move it with the ruler or is just luck of the draw if it stops needle up or down?

capeesh?

IMWTK

TIA

• 6 months later...

I would ask the same question again, even tho Heidi answered it and I have seen the same response written all over. I position the needle down in the fabric, turn on the SR, and still can't get it to stop consistently with it down. I'm pushing the command button and the blue button to stop. About half the time it stops with the needle up, and the other half with it down. Very frustrating. I've given up on trying to SID or anything that requires too much precision because of it.

i figured this out accidently:

(i have a millie and don;t know whether this will work on other machines)

turn on your SR (make it beep)

then hit the clutch/needle up&down button

turn on machine (clutch/blue)

hit the needle up&down button without hitting the clutch button (this will stop everything)

if the needle stops up, repeat this and it should stop in the down position next time...

clear as mud?

Not sure this is exactly what you are asking, everyone, but...

you can stop the sewing motor without cancelling the stitch regulator so that you can reposition your needle. Use the "command-blue" sequence on the right handle. The sewing motor will stop with the needle wherever it is in its "stroke" but not necessarily always in the down position. This is because the needle positioner isn't in use during that sequence. The regulator will still be active so you can begin quilting again with "command-blue" one more time.

You can also change the needle positioner while you are quilting, so long as you use the command button first. For example, if you begin with the needle up and decide that you want it "down" while you are quilting, hold in the command button on the right handle and hit the yellow button while you are sewing. When you hit any colored button to stop, the needle will stop in the "down" position. If you forget to hold the command button in first, however, you'll cancel everything and will need to start again.

But if you are willing to cancel the SR each time, you can start with the needle in the down position before turning on the regulator. Quilt as you like, and when you hit any colored button the regulator will stop as well as the sewing motor, and the needle will cycle completely down. You'll need to activate the SR and sewing motor in its normal sequence when you want to begin again.

Hope that isn't too confusing!

Archived