Zips, canvas & saggy leaders

Kathy I staple my quilts & backers to the zippers. I use the gross grain ribbon to save the zippers themselves, although I'm sure they'd hold up for a long time. I've had the gross grain on for more than 2 years and it works great and has held up great. If what you are doing works then stick with it. I invaribably catch myself on pins and it is a bloody mess! I don't have that problem with staples.

I was happy to read the idea of adding ribbon or something to the zipper because I had a skimpy backing once and caught the edge of my zipper in the quilting! I thought then then the zippers aren't going to last long if I keep doing this. So, the added fabric, ribbon or whatever eliminates that problem.

I think I am going to start hand basting the edges to the zippers. I, too, am always raking my hand on those pins. I tried the staples, but didn't care for those. So, a good way to use up some thread I don't like - basting my quilt parts to their zippers ! I still want to try using the water soluable thread, too.

I have canvas attached to my zippers. I chainstitch my backing to the zipper and when i am ready to take it off the machine I pull one thread and it whips right off.

I you go to Dawn's webshots I think she has some pictures of attaching canvas to zippers.

If I have something small, I staple.

Sandra

Just logged on again after a hectic weekend & realise that you've all given me so much more info. BRILLIANT;) Grosgrain ribbon is now stitched on & the zips look really pretty! Took ages to stitch the zips to the canvas & stitches are very wonky because I didn't seem to have enough hands:D Should be ok though because they are level. Now just need to try & sort my saggy canvas!

I, too, have sewn my zippers directly to the canvas leaders, using the LA and just holding the zippers in place. These have lasted for several years, not sure how many exactly. My Mille is about 9 yrs old, and the zips must be about 5-6 yrs. I learned about them while at Innovations in Seattle, Washington, the first year it began.

My problem now is that my top leader allows the center to curve upwards. When I zip the zippers together, they appear to be straight. Could the problem be my belly bar has a curve in it? How to straighten it out, or just purchase another?

Also, Kimmy Brunner has a DVD out about how to straighten the leaders. Sounds more tedious than difficult, but I haven't done it myself.

I'll be in DM later this week, so will try to stop by the showroom and see for myself about some of the mystery surrounding some of the newer technology like wheels, and the smart bobbin.

Darlene, thankyou so much, you're instructions are brilliant. I now have to decide if I can live with my wonky stitches or unpick & do them properly! Wish I'd come across your link before attaching my zippers!

I already know how good you are at explaining things because I have your wonderful books which explain to a newbie like me, exactly how to shape quilting designs.

Thanks again Darlene

You're very welcome Angie. The link has been posted numerous times on this forum, but it doesn't hurt to post it again for all the newbies.

You'll never be sorry you took the time to install your zippers. They save SO much time! I sew the backing to the zippers with the largest stitch on my sewing machine and then just rip them off. My 4 year old zippers still look like new.

Archived