Can anyone help me?

Hi! I am using this stencil on the border of the quilt I am working on. She is going to cut it into scallops when finished. My question is, how do I get this around the corner? Do I just use the middle and wing it for where it lines up with the edges? thanks!

post--13461904082914_thumb.jpg

I think there is an actual corner for this stencil, but if not I would mark the corners first and go from there. the corners might be a bit wider than the others, but have seen that and it look good. I would draw it out on a large sheet of newsprint or paper, first to see if you like it before sewing...

I have heard that you should start in the middle of a side and work to the corner. I think Bonnie is right about there being another stencil for the corner. If there is you could chalk the corner in and then ease the sides. You may have to shorten or lengthen the scallop a bit. If you draw it out like Bonnie suggests that will give you an idea how much you will need to ease in the sides. Good luck.

Hi Linda!

Another technique I've seen for corners to go with scallops/swags is to use a melon shaped template, then feather the outside. Inside the melon could be cross hatch, curved crosshatch or feathers. By the way, which company makes that stencil and what's its name? That once needs to join my ever-growing "family" of stencils! :-}

Originally posted by Bonnie

.......I would mark the corners first and go from there....

OK there are several varying opinions here,,, and I am certainly not a stencil expert! :P

But I tend to agree with "Mom" (Bonnie) yes, get your corners marked and work toward the center. That's what Kimmy Brunner taught me in her DVD.

Basically, you get your corners right and then fudge your way in the center to make it "work" (or fit)

Linda,

Sorry missed this thread yesterday. You can also make your own corner using the stencil. You can make a copy on paper and mirror image it. Then staple the mirror images right sides together. Fold open on a 45 degree line. the 45 degree line can pretty much go wherever looks good. Once you have the corner design you like then make a homemade stencil of it. I hope that is clear as mud. If not call me! I'll be home later this afternoon and this evening.

Linda,

As Bonnie mention, I am sure that there is a corner stencil that goes with this one. I noticed that the manufacturers tag is still on the stencil. You might be able to look them up on line and see if they have an online catalog to see what the corner section would look like. It might help in designing your corner. I have alot of stencils but not that one, otherwise I would have sent it to you.

Dianne

Archived