QZ Swag Template

meg

hello - well, that adorable ups guy was here today delivering my new qz templates. did i mention that it was hot enough today for him to be wearing shorts? can life get any better?

here is my question:

i was reading the directions for the swag template and i am wondering if it is necessary to turn the quilt? the directions say to turn it - icky - but i'm wondering why it can't be rotated on the QZ base so it is running sideways and just stitched out up and down rather than side to side. i'm thinking that there must be a reason that has to do with advancing the quilt. but if you put the needle down - it would hold your spot, wouldn't it?

can someone splain to me why i cant do it so i'm not tempted to try it, please?

thanks you guys....

Meg,

Turning isn't as bad as it sounds but no you could do the border without turning it. It would be a little more difficult to gauge it out but if you mark the center of the quilt so that you know where you might have to fudge things a little then you would be ok. The other thing you could do is to put chalk marks where you need to do the arcs. Does that make sense. If you are doing the big one for instance with the motif in between you can move it slightly closer or stitch out a little more before you stitch it. The other option of course is do work from the corners to the middle and do something completely different in the middle. I'm using it on a quilt I'm doing now but I will be turning because the borders are very friendly and I need to make sure I work them in evenly.

thanks heidi - you da best! (but u already knew that!)

i think the first time - i'll mark & turn it.

as i get more brave - & if i hate turning it - i'll try it sideways.

i dont know if i can stand to wait for my fatback to arrive to use these new templates! may have to load another muslin practice piece and play a bit.

thanks again!

CJ it is really cool! Adam is so wonderful at listening to what we want! I emailed him my suggestion and within a few weeks we had a smoking idea! I love the versatility of this template. Make sure you do the zig zag swag (boy say that 10 times fast), it stitches out really cool and it will really fill a border in quickly! I'm doing the formal swag with the star rosette now. Hopefully I can post pictures Sunday or early next week.

Archived