Guilds

Reading lately about quilt guilds that are so "exclusive" that they have waiting lists has me puzzled. Guilds that are non-profits must have specific goals and perform specific "good works" to be legal (especially for tax perposes)

If your LQG has limited the number of members or if you must "audition" to join, perhaps it's time to start a new guild. Put an ad in the local paper or shopper's news and see if anybody locally would be interested. You don't have to be the driving force behind it--there are a lot of high-energy people out there who love to organize! If the LQG is "full" there must be other quilters out there who are also excluded--the base word for "exclusive"!!!

My LQG is thrilled to accept new members--they are introduced to members and babied the first meetings--we want them to feel welcome and to contribute--the monitary contribution is small, but the charity work and sharing of information and education is huge. BTW, this guild is big--about 175 members and we put on a killer quilt show!!

Linda Rech

Olympia Washington

I think it may be more of an effort to control the size of the guild rather the exclusive angle. There are a number of guilds in my area (advantage of living in a metro area), some have closed memberships, some do not. I joined one of the open ones and like yours, Linda, it is quite large.... 400+ members.

I like this one because they meet every other month on a Saturday. It isn't a monthly thing. They put on a Quilt University every other year. I went last year and completely enjoyed it. On the off year, they have a Quilt Show with quilts from their members. I think I'm going to enjoy this group.

Gail

The quilt guild in my area has 2 monthly meetings, one in the morning and one in the evening - you can join one or the other. You could probably attend both if you wanted to. I joined when I started piecing, but felt like I didn't fit in. So I assumed it was just me and I needed to talk more, etc. Each month a hand quilter would smile at me and ask me to join her, then all her friends would show up and no one would speak to me. There are about 150 women at the evening meeting - not sure how big the roster is. During break no one would speak. They didn't tell you that you need to sign in - just assumed that everyone knew that. During the meeting they introduce visitors - not that I wanted to be recognized, but if you didn't come with someone, chances are you would go unnoticed. This group is very cliquish, if that is a word - or even the right spelling. Anyway, I finally gave up. And I have talked to may accomplished quilters since that have said the same thing - they also do not attend this group. It is really too bad, because more than getting customers, I really wanted to know all I can about quilting, and building relationships with other people. I thought this would be a great way to do it. I always thought quilters were these very wonderful people, with big hearts, kind of nourishing type people, boy was I wrong! Don't get me wrong I have met some pretty great quilters, just not at that guild.

I think starting a new group would be a wonderful idea, but I can't do it, and I don't know of anyone else that would want to. Traveling very far to attend a meeting is difficult when you work days.

I have been in two different guilds. When I lived in Utah, I belonged to one that had about 80 members. There would be little spin-off groups that might meet at someones house during the month. Since I was a mom with young children at the time, I fell in with other young moms and we would meet at each others houses and the kids would play while we quilted. I now live in Wisconsin and we have a very nice small guild. We have about 35 members. We don't limit membership but we meet in the back of the local quilt shop and often we don't have enough chairs if everyone shows up. I think some guilds limit membership because their meeting places just don't have the capacity to hold a large group. Also, you have other issues of not being able to hear the speaker, etc. I would be very cranky if I couldn't go to a guild meeting once a month. Between working full time, Girl Scouts and all the other things I do for my family, they know...guild night is sacred...don't schedule anything or ask me to drive you somewhere on the third Wed. of the month. It is the only thing I do for ME!

Sorry Norece, You're outnumbered on the music choice, but we'll alternate between all the types of music, okay.

Mary Beth, I know what you mean about dating yourself. I grew up listening to Kitty Wells, Patsy Cline, Buck Owens, Flatt and Scruggs.

When I heard on the radio this morning that Hee Haw was going to start rerunning on CMT I said, "Hey I watched that when I was little". Then they said it ran from 1969 to 1974. Gosh, was it really that long ago?

I'd like the idea of a retreat, seriously. Just us APQS gals (sorry, no boys allowed). Let's plan it.

If locking yourself in counts, then I've been there plenty. That's what I do when I'm angry or stressed out.

Seriously, do we want to try to plan something for the fall sometime? I can make a few calls to get some information about places, prices, etc. I would love to meet y'all and share ideas in person.

What do you think Mary Beth?

Let me know, Teresa

I'll call Loretta Lynn's and ask about cabin rentals. I've never been in one, but they look pretty nice. Unless you'd rather meet somewhere else. I love the Opryland hotel, but I don't know if I can afford to stay there LOL

Is there any other place you know of. I don't mind driving to Nashville, but that will be a long trip for Mary Beth.

Also, which days are you going to the Nashville show. I will only be there on Saturday the 26th. Why don't we meet for lunch or something?

Norece, Last year I hung around Nashville for a little while and went to the mall. My son was with me (he might be again this year, he's 14 and loves to quilt). Would you like to meet somewhere that evening. I can drive home any time. It's only about 3 hours drive. Let me know. Call me if you want to.

LOL...You guys DO IT and tell us all about it! I'm in CA. I would like to get out of the 110+ degree valley...but not this time!

I'm going to the Bennington Vermont Quilt Show in September..I've got a special exhibit going in their show. It was a Row Robin project they did with my quilting group here. We've been invited to then display our project at the Bennington Museum where the Jane Stickle Quilt (Dear Jane)will be on display (brought out for viewing once a year). Our 'Chocolate Moose' project was inspired by that quilt.

Can't spend too much on travel...gotta work, too! ;)

How exciting for you to have your work hang in an exhibit. Please take lots of pictures and send them to me.

Norece, Your house would be cool. I'd be happy to stay at a hotel nearby so I don't impose on your privacy too much. Have you and Myrna decided on a class after the Nashville show? I know she told me she had some company coming in and might not be able to do it. Let me know.

Phyllis, Aren't you somewhere not too far from us? Maybe you'd like to hang out with us.

Archived