Need suggestions, please

I have been asked to quilt a handpieced quilt top with 4 inch squares made of a variety of fabrics. I know, you think I've lost it. Maybe so, but this belongs to an elderly lady (82) in poor health and it just tugs on my heart to do this for her daughter. I need suggestions and please do not tell me I've bitten off more than I can chew, It will be done one way or another but would like to do it the best way I can. I have IQ or can do free motion... what do ya think...

I have been asked to quilt a handpieced quilt top with 4 inch squares made of a variety of fabrics. I know, you think I've lost it. Maybe so, but this belongs to an elderly lady (82) in poor health and it just tugs on my heart to do this for her daughter. I need suggestions and please do not tell me I've bitten off more than I can chew, It will be done one way or another but would like to do it the best way I can. I have IQ or can do free motion... what do ya think...

I suggest a medium freehand overall. This allows you to control placement of stitching where it is needed most--either on weak seams or around uneven piecing. Swirls, leaf and tendril, or teardrop fills would work well. Really, anything curvy and graceful will work.

I suggest a medium freehand overall. This allows you to control placement of stitching where it is needed most--either on weak seams or around uneven piecing. Swirls, leaf and tendril, or teardrop fills would work well. Really, anything curvy and graceful will work.

I agree, an all over freehand would be better...E2E's are great, but as already stated, the control just isn't there for needed spots, even with Clamshells and Crosshatching, if you have fabric that isn't 100% it can't be held down so the wear and tear on those pieces when washed go first when quilts start to fall apart.

Would love to see a picture of the finished quilt....:P;)

I agree, an all over freehand would be better...E2E's are great, but as already stated, the control just isn't there for needed spots, even with Clamshells and Crosshatching, if you have fabric that isn't 100% it can't be held down so the wear and tear on those pieces when washed go first when quilts start to fall apart.

Would love to see a picture of the finished quilt....:P;)

Archived