Custom quilt escapade WWYD?

WWYD? What would you do?

I have to tell you about this interesting proposal. Someone called Karen McTavish re: having a custom quilt done for his mother. She gave him my name as someone who would make a quilt from start to finish.

Here's the story. He wanted a quilt for his mother for her birthday in July...short deadline. He wanted a quillo( yes, a quillo) He had drawn up a design that included appliqued bones, bunnies, and multiple pictures of an overweight white chihuahua. There was a picture of the doggy's favorite toy- the bunny, and that was the shape to use on the quilt. To top it all, it needed to be a rose floral fabric because the dog's name was "Rosie".

I agreed to do the quilt, sent a diagram of the pattern, took pictures of fabric to put together, he agreed. Put $500 down, $250 on completion. Then, I looked at the pictures of Rosie. The pictures were old, scanned into the computer, all with red eye, all of a white dog against a white background, and out of focus to go on white fabric in a floral quilt with appliqued bunnies and bones. One picture was of the dog wrapped in a white blanket....that would transfer as a nose and two eyes. Could you imagine doing that to a quilt??

Once I started working with the pictures, I couldn't imagine putting them on the quilt as they were such poor quality and recommended he do them from his home computer with the transfers from the original scan not a jpeg (jpegs fold the picture and you lose pixels so the quality was abyssmal. I thought the resolution might be better and improve the quality of the picture for a better result.

End of story, he just couldn't believe that the pictures would be that bad and he just couldn't pay that much for a quilt that wasn't "finished". (All done except to iron on 10 pictures in center of a block. I could have shut up and just did what he wanted, but I knew he would never never like the results.

Sent the money back! Whew...dodged that bullet. I had almost all the star squares done, just needed the doggy pictures in the middle of 10. It will now become a baby quilt!

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE??

WWYD? What would you do?

I have to tell you about this interesting proposal. Someone called Karen McTavish re: having a custom quilt done for his mother. She gave him my name as someone who would make a quilt from start to finish.

Here's the story. He wanted a quilt for his mother for her birthday in July...short deadline. He wanted a quillo( yes, a quillo) He had drawn up a design that included appliqued bones, bunnies, and multiple pictures of an overweight white chihuahua. There was a picture of the doggy's favorite toy- the bunny, and that was the shape to use on the quilt. To top it all, it needed to be a rose floral fabric because the dog's name was "Rosie".

I agreed to do the quilt, sent a diagram of the pattern, took pictures of fabric to put together, he agreed. Put $500 down, $250 on completion. Then, I looked at the pictures of Rosie. The pictures were old, scanned into the computer, all with red eye, all of a white dog against a white background, and out of focus to go on white fabric in a floral quilt with appliqued bunnies and bones. One picture was of the dog wrapped in a white blanket....that would transfer as a nose and two eyes. Could you imagine doing that to a quilt??

Once I started working with the pictures, I couldn't imagine putting them on the quilt as they were such poor quality and recommended he do them from his home computer with the transfers from the original scan not a jpeg (jpegs fold the picture and you lose pixels so the quality was abyssmal. I thought the resolution might be better and improve the quality of the picture for a better result.

End of story, he just couldn't believe that the pictures would be that bad and he just couldn't pay that much for a quilt that wasn't "finished". (All done except to iron on 10 pictures in center of a block. I could have shut up and just did what he wanted, but I knew he would never never like the results.

Sent the money back! Whew...dodged that bullet. I had almost all the star squares done, just needed the doggy pictures in the middle of 10. It will now become a baby quilt!

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE??

Archived