NQR-Wow-It's been awhile!! Question on cloth diapers too.....

Hi ladies! Just wanted to say hello...it's been quite awhile since I've been on the boards....summer time is a busy time!! Kids out of school..activities etc....

My pregnancy is going well..about 18 weeks along and finally feeling like quilting again! I was out of commision for several weeks battling morning sickness in the evenings...I forgot that it doesn't just hit in the A.M. hours! lol! And having 2 other little ones to run after makes it a little worse....but we're still hanging in there!

Ive turned my attention these days to preparing for the baby well in advance...and I've been researching cloth diapers...WOW is there a bunch to choose from! And are they pricey!! But I've found some great websites offering free patterns on how to make them....and most of them refer to PUL fabric, which is a waterproof fabric that is still soft and stretchy....has anyone heard of this material before? Ever sewn with it? I'd also like to know if anyone has ever purchased it online and which site??? Seems to me it may be a little tricky.....but I'm set on making a few cloth diapers to see how I fare...and if all goes well...I'll stock up! I've got a few months to get going!!

Thanks in advance for any tips, hints and info!

Blessings to you and yours!

Michelle

Hi ladies! Just wanted to say hello...it's been quite awhile since I've been on the boards....summer time is a busy time!! Kids out of school..activities etc....

My pregnancy is going well..about 18 weeks along and finally feeling like quilting again! I was out of commision for several weeks battling morning sickness in the evenings...I forgot that it doesn't just hit in the A.M. hours! lol! And having 2 other little ones to run after makes it a little worse....but we're still hanging in there!

Ive turned my attention these days to preparing for the baby well in advance...and I've been researching cloth diapers...WOW is there a bunch to choose from! And are they pricey!! But I've found some great websites offering free patterns on how to make them....and most of them refer to PUL fabric, which is a waterproof fabric that is still soft and stretchy....has anyone heard of this material before? Ever sewn with it? I'd also like to know if anyone has ever purchased it online and which site??? Seems to me it may be a little tricky.....but I'm set on making a few cloth diapers to see how I fare...and if all goes well...I'll stock up! I've got a few months to get going!!

Thanks in advance for any tips, hints and info!

Blessings to you and yours!

Michelle

Michelle,

What a great time of life for you and family, even through the less than best parts. My girls have been using the diaper shells with liners. Maybe you can find a pattern for that and then not need to make so many large diapers. I wonder if the PUL fabric would work for the shells. My girls used some Bum Genius, and others that I can't remember.

It will be interesting what you find out. What site does it tell you about PUL? That might be nice for other things besides diapers too.

Michelle,

What a great time of life for you and family, even through the less than best parts. My girls have been using the diaper shells with liners. Maybe you can find a pattern for that and then not need to make so many large diapers. I wonder if the PUL fabric would work for the shells. My girls used some Bum Genius, and others that I can't remember.

It will be interesting what you find out. What site does it tell you about PUL? That might be nice for other things besides diapers too.

one site I visted, i think it was celticclothdiapers.com was very helpful...gave cloth/fabric definitions etc...and it does seem like the PUL would be great in other projects..I know bibs and bags are made out of it often...I'm just gonna experiment I suppose...i get crazy looks like "Your using cloth diapers?!" but I'm willing to give it a try!

one site I visted, i think it was celticclothdiapers.com was very helpful...gave cloth/fabric definitions etc...and it does seem like the PUL would be great in other projects..I know bibs and bags are made out of it often...I'm just gonna experiment I suppose...i get crazy looks like "Your using cloth diapers?!" but I'm willing to give it a try!

oops..forgot to say that the fabrics i need, most of them have to be ordered online and i'm a little nervous about ordering it before I can feel/look at it first hand...so i'll need to decide what i want before spending a bunch of money on online fabric then it not turn out like i though it would....it's amazing the different types used for cloth diapers!

oops..forgot to say that the fabrics i need, most of them have to be ordered online and i'm a little nervous about ordering it before I can feel/look at it first hand...so i'll need to decide what i want before spending a bunch of money on online fabric then it not turn out like i though it would....it's amazing the different types used for cloth diapers!

I have made numerous cloth diapers in my many years of child rearing. just got tyhe last one out of them! yay!!

PUL does not hold up as well as ProCare. That is what I used in covers.

I found that the best diapers were those that were not AIOs (all-in-ones). those tended to cause more rashes and even though they seemed more convenient...they weren't as breathable as regular prefolds. I loved the ones by Re-U-Zm...they had a snap prefold which worked wonders. I can probably make some for you...as I have a snap press too. Let me see what I can do...and get back to you.

I also have numerous patterns for all-in-one styles that I can dig out for you. :)

I have made numerous cloth diapers in my many years of child rearing. just got tyhe last one out of them! yay!!

PUL does not hold up as well as ProCare. That is what I used in covers.

I found that the best diapers were those that were not AIOs (all-in-ones). those tended to cause more rashes and even though they seemed more convenient...they weren't as breathable as regular prefolds. I loved the ones by Re-U-Zm...they had a snap prefold which worked wonders. I can probably make some for you...as I have a snap press too. Let me see what I can do...and get back to you.

I also have numerous patterns for all-in-one styles that I can dig out for you. :)

I have some of this for something else, but it is kindof stretchy. It has a kindof plastic coating on on side and maybe like a polyester feeling to the other. It is very hard to describe. The store that I got it from is using it for "ziploc" type reuseable sandwich size bags. i haven't made the bags yet so I don't know what it is like to sew with

http://greatamericanquilt.com/store/pulfabric1yd.html

Hope this helps.

Jen

I have some of this for something else, but it is kindof stretchy. It has a kindof plastic coating on on side and maybe like a polyester feeling to the other. It is very hard to describe. The store that I got it from is using it for "ziploc" type reuseable sandwich size bags. i haven't made the bags yet so I don't know what it is like to sew with

http://greatamericanquilt.com/store/pulfabric1yd.html

Hope this helps.

Jen

Michelle,

I made and used cloth diapers for my last two and loved it. I used diaper flannel to make them and they were prefolded with elastic in the legs and were simple to make and take care of. I would put a 1/4 cup of vinegar in the diaper pail with a little Dreft for soaking them then when I washed them I wouldn't use fabric softener because that would waterproof them and I wanted them to be absorbent. They would hold better then pampers.

Glad to hear that your pregnancy is doing better.

Michelle,

I made and used cloth diapers for my last two and loved it. I used diaper flannel to make them and they were prefolded with elastic in the legs and were simple to make and take care of. I would put a 1/4 cup of vinegar in the diaper pail with a little Dreft for soaking them then when I washed them I wouldn't use fabric softener because that would waterproof them and I wanted them to be absorbent. They would hold better then pampers.

Glad to hear that your pregnancy is doing better.

My daughter switched to cloth diapers for her 2nd baby. She ordered hers on-line, but I don't know the company name. She has the water-proof shell in many colors. The legs are elastic and they snap on the sides. There is a pocket on the inside of these shells to put a layer of the actual diaper. She has different thicknesses to insert, like a thicker one for bedtime. She also has several swimmy diapers and let me tell you...they worked. I had the kids at the pool at the YMCA and Timmy (now almost 2 1/2) said, Grandmom, I pooped." Then he jumped into the pool! I did lift him out right away and got his sister out and went to the locker room to see what mess lie ahead for me to clean up. LOL. But, the diaper held the mess in tact - no leakage.

The company also sells a drawstring bag out of the shell material to put the used diapers in until they can be washed. She keeps one of these bags in the diaper bag when going out. They can also be dropped into the washing machine.

She absolutely loves them.

My daughter switched to cloth diapers for her 2nd baby. She ordered hers on-line, but I don't know the company name. She has the water-proof shell in many colors. The legs are elastic and they snap on the sides. There is a pocket on the inside of these shells to put a layer of the actual diaper. She has different thicknesses to insert, like a thicker one for bedtime. She also has several swimmy diapers and let me tell you...they worked. I had the kids at the pool at the YMCA and Timmy (now almost 2 1/2) said, Grandmom, I pooped." Then he jumped into the pool! I did lift him out right away and got his sister out and went to the locker room to see what mess lie ahead for me to clean up. LOL. But, the diaper held the mess in tact - no leakage.

The company also sells a drawstring bag out of the shell material to put the used diapers in until they can be washed. She keeps one of these bags in the diaper bag when going out. They can also be dropped into the washing machine.

She absolutely loves them.

Years ago...I used cloth diapers on my kids. I bought the pre-folded diapers from Sears and used plastic pants over them. At the time these worked better than the "new" disposable diapers which always leaked on me.

I didn't work back then, so we just had one income and money was very tight. My dryer broke and was beyond repair; I needed a new one and couldn't afford to buy one. I switched to the old fashioned cloth diapers that were just a large square that you had to fold up to the right size to use. The advatage was 1) they were cheaper than the pre-folded ones and 2) They dried on the clothes line so much faster than the thick ones, and 3) they could be folded in different ways to accomodate the size of the new born up to the toddler. I strung two lines in my laundry room and bought 2 wooded drying racks, so I could dry inside on rainy days or during the winter. I went without a dryer for a number of years, as I got used to the lines and was content. The money was needed more for other things.

So, fast forward 30 years, and even though I do have a dryer now, I still have 2 lines in my laundry room and I still have 2 drying racks (all replacements from the original ones) and I love hanging clothes! It not only cuts down on my electric bill from the dryer, but it doesn't shrink my jeans, etc.

Years ago...I used cloth diapers on my kids. I bought the pre-folded diapers from Sears and used plastic pants over them. At the time these worked better than the "new" disposable diapers which always leaked on me.

I didn't work back then, so we just had one income and money was very tight. My dryer broke and was beyond repair; I needed a new one and couldn't afford to buy one. I switched to the old fashioned cloth diapers that were just a large square that you had to fold up to the right size to use. The advatage was 1) they were cheaper than the pre-folded ones and 2) They dried on the clothes line so much faster than the thick ones, and 3) they could be folded in different ways to accomodate the size of the new born up to the toddler. I strung two lines in my laundry room and bought 2 wooded drying racks, so I could dry inside on rainy days or during the winter. I went without a dryer for a number of years, as I got used to the lines and was content. The money was needed more for other things.

So, fast forward 30 years, and even though I do have a dryer now, I still have 2 lines in my laundry room and I still have 2 drying racks (all replacements from the original ones) and I love hanging clothes! It not only cuts down on my electric bill from the dryer, but it doesn't shrink my jeans, etc.

I did like Sandra with both my children. Why, my kids were allergic to the wonderful smell in the disposable diapers. In a pinch I'd use the cheap ones from the dollar store since they had no good smell but they fell to pieces. The flat ones were the best as they grew with the kids. One thing I did was layer two and sew them together so they would absorb more. When used, I'd soak the cloth diapers in vinegar like Kristina and that helped tons. I had to bleach and then double rinse do to allergies. Oxygen bleach really helps get out the yellow stains.

Archived