May Meandering Madness Sale

Hi everyone.

I've not been on the forum much these last two months because of my May Meandering Madness Sale. It was a great success and I enjoyed it. I made some extra money and have many new customers now, which is great. Also, everyone was so happy with the .01 psi sale price. Many were so thankful to be able to have their large quilts that were just sitting in the closet, quilted. However, it went on longer than I expected. I still have two left, and we're in July. Wow. I think I will do it again next year, but maybe have a limit on the number of quilts I take in. I'll have to think about that.

While I enjoyed it, I'm so much looking forward to getting back to my custom work and being creative again.

Jess

Hi Jess,

How many quilts did you get in due to your special?

I just ran one which lasted 6 weeks. During that time I did 8 quilts, but one was a table topper that she wanted custom quilting on, and the other was a bed quilt that she wanted a very open, floral panto on, so my special got me 6 quilts to meander.

I'm going to run a holiday special soon. I am having cards made up now to advertise it. I'll mail a handful out and the rest will be taken to guild (and some to my LQS). I ordered 100 of them. It is probably overkill, but that was the smallest amount.

I just bought some holiday pantos consisting of several Christmas pantos, a pine tree panto with a moon and stars, and a snow flake panto. I will take 15% off their total. Minimum price is $50. It will start as soon as I get the cards distributed and will end Sept. 30, 2010 (yes, I put the year on too, so there was a definate ending). :)

I hope this special gets my name "out there" and generates some cash!

Sandra,

I took in 49 quilts for the sale. Many of them were large, but not all. And I didn't have a minimum. I did a few baby quilts and they only came to around $10 to $15, plus I charged a few bucks for thread. I was able to get these small ones on and off within a half an hour so I didn't mind.

It took me two months to quilt this many because I only work two to four hours a day and I spent two weeks out of town. I don't think I could ever work a full day like many here do.

Good luck on your special.

Jess

Sandra, careful what you wish for. When I started (2006) I said I would be 97 b/4 my machine was paid for. This year has been incredible. In the first six months I did about 125 projects. That includes my own and some were small wall hangings or table runners. I am having a slow period right now but I still have 3 to get done b/4 baby grandson arrives. Just finished two biggies. Think I'll see if I can get some pix posted of the star quilt. I like the big void areas. BTW, I took in enough to pay for the machine in 2 1/2 years. If you add pantos, thread (I'm bad) and repairs, new Bliss- I'm not sure I'm ahead yet!!! Add the IQ when it comes and I'm really backwards!!! Oh well. This is just a hobby, right?

Wow, Marie. That's a lot of quilts in a short period of time!

For me it is a hobby, turned into a business. I would like to be able to quilt full time in a few years, so I can retire from my day job. Until then, it is a part time job. I had my machine paid for when I bought it used, then I bought lots of toys to go with it. Of course, I am still buying toys (and still paying Michael at Circle Lord). I'm hoping that within the first year I can pay for everything relating to quilting through the business. Right now, I am happy when I can pay my business insurance every month and buy a few pantos.

So, wish me luck getting more customers...the nice ones. :)

At some point, if the business really starts to make money that I can save, I will probably want to upgrade to a new machine and also get a computerized system. I know, at this point I really have big dreams. LOL

Archived