I think I ruined my leaders

cjtinkle

My leaders haven't been quite straight since I bought the machine. From the front, the left side always sags badly. I've tried pinning them together, rolling back and forth, tugging the centers..

Today I decided to try starching them. Bad mistake. Now the centers have shrunk in so much I can't possible roll them back up evenly. I decided to pull them off and wash them all, good grief. This has gone from bad to worse.:D

There's a ton of glue on both the rollers and the leaders. I can't see how I can possibly get it off. Any suggestions as to how I should proceed at this point? Support is closed for the weekend. Leave it me to make a smallish problem huge!

Hi CJ - Oh don't you hate it when you think you've figured out how to correct something and it doesn't?

First, I'd use "Goo-Gone" to get the glue off of the rollers. At this point, regarding washing the leaders, you can't make them any worse, but I've heard to expect a great deal of shrinkage. If after washing them, they are wonky or have shrunk up tooooo much, I'd head to Joann's or other fabric store and buy yourself some canvas and make some new ones. All I can say is good luck on figuring this one out. :o

CJ,

It sounds like you're not having a great weekend and I'm sorry to hear that. PJ gives you excellent advice. What else could possibly go wrong? OK we'll pretend I didn't just type that.

If you have a Joann's near you go there and get some drapery liner and make new leaders. It is strong and does not stretch. Tape them on with duct tape and you will be back in business in no time! Hope it goes better.

Oh by the way I recall that you had an issue with one of your studio die cutters that was off by 1/16 of an inch. Did you get that resolved? If it wasn't you sorry to ask but I recall reading it. I'm so ready to take the leap for a studio cutter.

Thanks girls. I'll probably just order replacements from APQS. We have a hobby lobby here, and they carry duck canvas, which is what I used to make the leaders for my HQ16 with, however it is just a tad stretchy, the leaders from APQS are better than what I can buy locally.

Heidi, I've had issues with 3 of my Studio dies. One was off in measurement, two cut very poorly. I called AccuQuilt and they immediately shipped replacements out for each, no questions asked. Their service is as good as APQS'!

I like mine so well that if I had to choose between one of my sewing machines and it... I'd let one of the sewing machines go, and I have two really nice Berninas!

Just don't try to overload it with fabric layers.. One gal did, and they bent and cut lopsided blocks.. it bent into the square, so couldn't be squared up. I make it a point not to go over 6 layers at the most and try to keep it at 4 or 5.

Archived