stencil question

Watching all these stencil throwndown projects are great but I have been trying to work with stencils and guess I don't know the technique of keeping the lines together and not having too many backovers. So what is the secret method to the madness besides PPP. It is either start and stop alot or frogging myself to death:(

The stencil that I used was not continuous line and I did have a lot of starts and stops. But it was a smaller (wall hanging) so it wasn't too bad. If I was doing it on a customer quilt, I would have chosen a different stencil so that there wouldn't have taken so long.;)

Bonnie,

The nice part about stencils is that when the marks are washed off nobody will be able to tell if you were a little off the line! I use my SR and go slower and do my best to stay consistant. You have to relax your shoulders and look ahead of the needle that will help you hit your target better. Another thing you might want to try is using microdrive handles or quilting with one hand on the quilt sandwich and one to steer the machine. Use the method that works best for you.

Heidi is correct. Don't over think it, and in some cases if you go really really slow you get shaky and it looks really wobbly. As you get better you may even find that by turning off the SR you will be smoother. But more than anything as Heidi said. once the marks are gone only you will know where it wobbled. Unless you have a customer that nit-picks it apart.

Archived