Need help with PQ1500S

I have a brother PQ1500S, it is on a grace mini pinni frame with a sure stitch regulator attached. I have adjusted the tension top and bobbin. I can run it at the lowest speed and the fastest speed. It will stitch a few stitches without the bobbin thread coming to the top, then it will stitch bringing the bobbin thread to the top. It does not keep the stitches at the same length either. I am new at quilting but this is getting very discouraging and riduculous.

Thanks,

D

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I have the same machine and used to use it for quilting before I got my Millie. I did not use mine of a frame but I think that some of your problems are probably related to the speed at which you are moving the machine. The stitch length will vary depending on how quickly you move your machine, you need to find a constant speed to have consistent stitch length. I suspect that the the the bobbin thread is probably coming to the top when you are stitching a curve. This could be to do with speed again or your tension. Superior Threads have a some good tension advice at this link http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/ Have you tried quilting without the frame. Are you getting the same results when you are moving the fabric through your machine rather than moving the machine across the fabric? Try a different size needle, maybe a larger one depending on what you are currently using. Try a different thread and see if you get the same results. Is you machine clean and oiled, are there any bits of thread stuck in the thread path? Try rethreading to make sure there isn't a problem there.

Good luck, I hope you can find an answer before you become too frustrated.

Sue

I just want to "dito" the advise Sue just gave you. I have a Brother 1500S that was on a New Joy frame for about 5 years before I bought my Liberty. Usually, I had to adjust my top tension when switching from thin to thick threads, or vice-versa. I never adjusted my bobbin case on the machine. I would also be sure the machine was cleaned and oiled. I used a good quality thread. After that was all taken care of, it was how I set the dial for the speed control compared to how quickly (or slowly) I moved the machine. Usually I would go at lightning speed on that machine and the stitches looked pretty good.

I hope you get your issues worked out quickly.

There's a theme here...I quilted on the Brother 1500S before I bought my George. I never used it on a frame but I concur with all the advice you've been given. I can definitely relate to the 'discouraging and ridiculous' feeling. If it is not the frame or stitch regulator (I can't give you any advice on those), just take a deep breath and double check the thread, thread path, needle, bobbin & bobbin case. It's a simple & sturdy machine so when it acts up, it's usually something simple. We're with you in spirit! Nancy in Tucson

I still love my PQ1500's I have 3 :) I'd agree with the advice you've been given. I'd ignore the tension until you get the hang of moving the machine at a fairly constant speed. Once your stitches are mostly a similar length you can then adjust your tension to suit your sewing.

Ferret

Ladies to just let you know, I have oiled the machine, cleaned it. I took the machine off the frame and put it on the table top. I put my walking foot on the machine and got the tension set just perfect. I also got a size 16 needle and put it back on the frame and attached the sure stitch regulator. I can not set the stitch length and it pulled the bobbin thread to the top on some of the stitches and then it pulled the top thread to the bottom on the other stitches. It also did some of the stitches little and then big. I appreciate all the input from everyone but I have decided to just quilt with it on the table top version using my walking foot and using the stitch in the ditch.

Thanks

D

Archived