need quilt pattern idea

Hi all. I have just been commissioned to make 4 twin size quilts for a beach house. They will go on bunk beds in a girls bedroom and will be heavily used. They are to be pink and green primarily and the quilting panto that is to be used is a allover shells/waves/beachy pattern (can't think of name off the top of my head). The fabrics will be muted/faded. I am stumped as to a quilt pattern (or two) to use. I want to make them simple so the quiltING shows up. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

What?s about this method?

Cut squares( maybe 12 inches) in 5 contrasting colours, lay them - correctly ! - top on top and cut them all diagonal three or four times.

Then change all the parts to each other - so you would get 5 different blocks out of one cutting process! Sew them together in the opposite way as you have cut.

Put a sashing between the blocks...

Sorry for my funny description - I?m not used to explain piecing in english;)...but you may have a look at another thread of this chat: Phil from France has shown his picture of this method here!

Let me know if you need more explanations, I?ll take pictures then and send it to you!:D

Have a great day...

Best wishes from Germany

Claudia

Have you thought of using half square triangles? I have made five very fast quilts in Kaffee Fassett prints cutting squares from lots of fat quarters. If you cut them slightly smaller than 6" you can get nine from each fat 1/4.

They can be paired up and sewn using the diagonal line method. I've arranged the blocks differently in each quilt. They are fun to play with and easy to construct.

Sue

Sue- what do you mean by the diagonal line method? I would probably use thangles or the paper triangles. I like your idea and the fabrics we are using are Kaffe Fasset....what a coincidence. I think 1/2 square triangles can look sort of like "flags"....which seems sort of beachy to me....I am really stretching here;)

I cut the squares based on the fabric size-if a fat 1/4, then the 5 7/8 thing works. I then pair different fabrics right sides together. I draw a diagonal line across the top square, then sew 1/4" to the right and again the the left of the line. I then cut on the line. Open and press seam to one side, trim off little corners and measure. You need to have a finished size in mind and you can trim each square to this size by using a sqaure ruler with a diagonal line on it . You align the diagonal with you square's diagonal, trim top and right sides, then realign and trim other 2 sides. This is the best way to end up with squares all the same size-even if your seams aren't perfect.

Sue

Sue, I can't tell you much I love those two quilts! I make lap quilts and throws for nursing home residents and can't wait to do one like this. The colors are gorgeous. Hope my stash produces results as beautiful as yours! Thanks so much for reminding me that keep it simple is best and most beautiful.

Janet

Janet-

I used the process of making these very simple quilts to get me out of a terrible slump this past year. They brought back the simple joys that quilting had once been for me. After that I ordered my Millenium and sold my Gammill-so be careful making them-you never know what will come next (like Pandora's Box!)

Sue

Sue, thank you from me too for posting the pictures. the quilts are gorgeous and I love the quilting on them. I have 2 new grandchildren coming next year and 9 of the other 16 waiting for quilts and this will be a great pattern for using my stash, an excuse to go shopping and good pattern for my pppp with my new Millie:D

So glad you all enjoyed them-if you want more color combinations, there are more. I call it color therapy! Only problem is that I haven't taken any time in the last year to make competition quilts. Somehow that is way too serious right now. Playing with color and fabric is much more fun! I discovered they worked best if there were at least one pair of each (at least one square) and I blended batiks with Kaffe's. The Kaffe's really are fun!

Sue

Sue - I love your quilts! And I agree that they would be fun and fairly

quick to do. I like the strings peiced border - very nice! Great colors and

great quilting too!

Mavdbp - Since you already have your panto pattern choosen and know

your material colors - maybe just a plain outer border would show your

quilting more..... Good Luck and please send us a photo!

Archived