Advice for 1st "real" project

Please offer me advice on my 1st long arm project...I just completed a variation of a mariners compass and bought the backing last night..finished at 2am. ( For the backing) I just sewed a long seam down the center and know to put it on south to north on the rollers. Do I press the seams open or does that put more pressure on the seam?Should I use warm and natural or a polyester batt ( it will be hung on a wall). Should I just quilt long straight lines radiating from the center or is there a better simple idea...I don't have a stitch regulator and want this to look reasonably good for my 1st project...any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I'll post a pic when I'm done! OK, I'll take a shower and then check this board...maybe eat breakfast..Thank you, Elaine

Elaine, by south to north do you mean Parallel to your roller bar? If so that is the best way to go if possible. I like a large 5/8 inch seam and pressed open. I would do a search for the type of batting you are looking for. Compare the types to the amount of stitching you plan on doing. Some get real stiff. Also, do a search for Mariners compass, I know I've see several posts on them. Sorry not much help, but I bet if you post a picture of it, you'll get some of the best on this site giving you great ideas.

I piece my backing witha small stitch and do press open. Not sure its the right way but I do that way. I also remove selvages.

Rarely do I piece my backing this way. I like the seams to be parallel to rollers ( all in the same direction or left to right). Many of my customers do piece with seam horizontal or North to South as you put it.

I have heard it mentioned that many will piece their backing with a small zigzag when putting it North to south so it will have some give and not be so tight thru the center of the quilt which causes the left and right side to sag just a tad at times as it is tighter in center than outside edges.

Hope this helps.

Thanks ladies!Chicken Scratch, I love your quilt! Too bad I didn't see it earlier! The scroll design is a great idea! I truly drew a blank when I finally was able to quilt it...I'll have to unstitch before I post a pic!!!Great idea about a 5/8" zigzag up the back seam..but this am. i only did a 1/4" seam and pressed to one side...at least the needle didn't mind!I did some straight lines and some weird circles that don't close..but the freedom of quilting was alot of fun!!!I'm only 1/2 done, but that's because I had to watch the video again after putting the backing on backwards twice in a row:( ps. I haven't even looked at the back to see how the stitching is really going, but at this point it doesn't matter!I wound my own bobbins and that was so easy and quick and threaded the machine myself, also easy, so this is just an experiment to see if I can use my new long arm and if I ruin the quilt, I'll just unstitch...forever!!!!I'll post a picture next week if I'm done!!!Elaine

Teresa,

LOVE the quilt......the colors are yummy and the scrollwork is great!

Elaine,

Any time that I am stumped for designs I go to Webshots and type in the name of the quilt pattern and you come up with oodles of pictures so that you can see how others have quilted that particular design. Sometimes ya just gotta have a boost in the right direction.;)

Elaine,

I've been only quilting for a year, and it seems so long ago esp. when you mentioned loading your backing wrong twice. Been there done it lol!

It gets to be second nature after awhile, but you still get to do silly stupid things all the time. Just remember your not alone because we have all done it. Hang in there it gets better!

• 2 weeks later...

Just the other day, I also did the "pin the back on wrong, :( twice" :(

man oh man, I could have screamed. ;)

Hay Elanie:

Have you got that Mariners Compus quilt done, I would love to see some photo's of it. Please!!

And Teresa:

Great quilt, really like the colours, :)

Gerry, I did post a picture on this board...just a thread titled, Quilted Mariners Compass...about 15 posts down the board. Thanks for asking. BTW...I tried quilting another quilt for charity, but now have 2 quilts to "frog":(

I turned the top stitch 2 full turns and the stitches look better now...I used king tut top and bobbin and am wondering if a thread that tiny bit thicker than poly set by manufac. makes that big a difference! I saw the thread on this board where others have tension problems so I am not worried;) And i must admit..it's not that difficult to remove threads when it only lays on the back...

Also, I tried the pounce pad while on the frame and couldn't get it to work so will have a design in mind when I redu the quilt! Elaine

Thank you, Marybeth, I really know nothing about long arming so I do appreciate any tips i get...I figured you had to pounce on the floor but then the pounce would shake off as you put it on the rollers...so yes. i bought washable markers and may try and stencil a design....A VERY SIMPLE ONE...am contemplating a extend a base...thanks for the tip! Elaine

Elaine,

I find that the Miracle Chalk works the best. Regular chalk comes off before I can quilt it. The way I do it, is I load the quilt then stencil as I go. If I come to a block that requires stencil, then I stencil then quilt it. Do you have an extend-a-base?? You would use one for stitch in the ditch with your rulers. Mine is clear, some look like metal or something, but they are a flat surface that fits around your throat plate that gives you a much larger surface to work on. Do you have one of those? If yes, then that will give you a surface to pounce on. I hope this is helping. I am so visiual that I almost have to run back and forth between my machine and the computer to describe this to you:D:D

It's okay with me, if some of you smarter quilters chime in here!!

Archived