basting stitch problem!

Can someone tell me what might cause this problem? I was working on a customer quilt and was almost finished with no problems. I was using the up-down stitch to baste the edges of the quilt as I progressed. Then the basting stitch quit locking the thread. It just all pulls loose. When I turn on the stitch regulator and start quilting everything is fine (perfect stitching).

I've checked the thread path, cleaned the bobbin case, changed bobbins, looked for loose threads. My baby is 3 years old and has never ben "sick" before. Help!

When I ran into this I would stitch five or so stitches and do a back stitch which sort of locked those five stitches. I think it was because the thread was slippery. Now I automatically do it even when the thread isn't slipping. There may be other ways but it worked for me. Happy stitching!

OK. I do always take 3 or 4 locking stitches at the beginning and then start out. And it wasn't a problem till the end of the quilt. I just finished the quilt by pinning instead of basting. This was the first quilt I've done that was batiks on the front and the back. I was using Rainbow thread, prewound bobbins, and bamboo batting. Maybe things were a little slick.

I'll try doing a backstitch on the next project and see if that works. Thanks for all your suggestions. You guys are the greatest.

JULIE

Archived