Which machine?

I know this is a site primarily devoted to APQS machines, but am trying to make a final decision on this. After tons of research, I have narrowed it down to two machines, Gammill and APQS. From what I can see, there are pros and cons of both machines. One of the biggest pros on the Gammill is that the dealer lives only a few miles from my house!

I am going to Nashville next week before I make my final decision, and I know that it is a personal decision that only I can make. What I am looking for are things to look out for. If you have one of the two brands, what should I keep in mind as I test drive them? What questions should I make sure I have an answer for?

I have severe arthritis in neck, shoulders and back, so I know the weight issue is something I will take a close look at, but what other things can you suggest?

Hopefully, I can make up my mind in enough time to get my order in before the sales on the Mille goes off, but that will depend on when the home equity loan closes...

Thanks for all your help! This site is the greatest!!!

I know I made the right decision with the APQS. My straw was the leveler bar. It keeps the quilt level and you don't have to adjust the take up bar when you advance your quilt. This takes up a lot of time if you have to adjust all the time. I had a customer in my quilt shop last week and she had rented a Gammill to do a quilt. She was talking about me not having my hair pulled back, its just past my shoulders, and not wearing a tight apron while I quilt. I gave her a funny look and she said that it could get sucked into the back of my machine and walked to the back, realized that mine isn't open like the Gammill. She told me that I made the right decision with the machine I got. And I agree. These machines move like a dream and honestly the adjusting all the time will get to your back. I use to have a Grace frame and I barely quilted, I adjusted all the time. I also asked several Gammill owners about down time and they were saying stuff about humidity and adjusting. I asked APQS owners and they looked at me and said "You mean when we change a needle? I don't have down time." I am sold on APQS, and having a professional set-up your machine is the best way to go. I went with DeLoa Jones in Michigan and she was awesome. Good-Luck

Sheryl

From everything I have read Nini:

the APQS is the easiest to move & has far less rattle/vibration than any of the other machines.

I have a co-LAer & she has an A-1, just loves her machine, but she has never tried my Milli. & hasn't got the stitch reg. the one thing I could not live with out.

Best of luck in your choice, I'm glad I picked an APQS. :)

First I was in the same position as you down to APQS and Gammill I chose Gammill ....let me say I am now trying to sell my Gammill although I can say it is a very nice machine regulating stitches has been hard along with the weight of the machine....I do not have arthritis but can feel a lot of stainin my shoulders when I am doing small filler areas or stippling I have to take breaks....I have sewn with the APQS Milli and can tell you weight, regulating stitches, and control are much easier with APQS machines...really test drive these machines for more than 5 minutes try 30 minutes at least...Also gammill had all the incentives thread, batting, free delivery which ultimately won me over I can tell you none of those things matter at all when you are having problems with your machine...good luck...Jackie

Hi Nini

What a great surname you have - I've had that same name for 30 plus years (since I got married)!

Why would you choose one machine brand over another?

You made a comment - "This site is the greatest" and it is, and so is the company and staff behind it. What other company is so proud of their product and after sales service that they would have an open chat forum where owners can talk about their machines, their reliability and the after sales service they receive?"

Have you tried the Liberty, it is so light without vibration still on the same alloy table with its levelling bar and adjustable height and levelling feet. You can set it up to exactly the right height (comfort level) for you.

Have you contacted APQS in Des Moines to find out where your nearest dealer is located - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck in your choice.

Sue in Australia

Guest Linda S

Nini - try them all out. I will tell you that I bought my Liberty because it is smaller, lighter weight, and easier to move. I also have neck and back problems -- all from people driving into the back of my car!! :( I can quilt pretty comfortably on my Liberty. I took a class and had to use a big Gammill and, after four hours, I was one hurtin' unit.

Linda

Nini:

You nearest dealer is:

Paducah, Kentucky

Irene Reising

(270) 443-0324 | ireising@aol.com

She is about 430 miles from you.

Any of the dealers would be happy to give personalized service. If you have questions and want to talk to people who use and service APQS machines on a daily basis call one of us. Any dealer will take time to help you.

John

Nini, I have had on-and-ff pinched nerves in neck and shoulder, so I went with the Liberty. It seems light as a feather, and I do not have to extend my reach so far as in the 26" machines. I am tall, and the height adjustment was super easy. But I got myself a drafting stool and sit most of the time. Some thing you CANNOT do with a Gammill. And I srtrongly believe that the Bobbin situation with Gammill is a good-news bad-news deal. Since the bobbin is so much larger, the top thread has to travel much further to get around the bobbin case, and I think that causes many problems. I have a friend who wants to sell her Gammill, she can only use one kind of thread, other wise she has issues with tension, etc..........

As a previous gammill owner, I would like to add my 2 cents. My gammill worked great. I truly believe there are lemons in every brand of machine. I have a friend who longarms with an A-1 and she is forever fighting tension issues (yet others don't have problems). I had the optimum plus that handled all but hightlights thread. I sold it because I needed a lighter machine. I bought a millie. I would have bought the Liberty but the quilting space was an issue because the gammill has 30 inches. Going down to 20 inches was to much for my brain, but I love the Liberty.

Test drive every machine available, because we are all diferent and what works for one person may not for another.

My point is you might want to think about a compuquilter. That way the computer can do most of the quilting for you. Put it on the Liberty and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

:)

Archived