looking for suggestions, embroidery pricing

Embroidery pricing is all over the place...there are a lot of variables. Using time as a measure is more about understanding how much you're making for your time than how much to charge...it's quite different between a professional machine and a DSM with an embroidery module for the same job.

Make it worth your while. Is it just a favor or is this an "embroidery job"? Don't forget, if it's for profit and you offer too sweet of a deal, you'll have repeat business but you'll also have a hard time raising the price.

I also take into consideration what I would be willing to pay for the finished item. I'm frugal...well, maybe a tightwad, so it's difficult for me to charge the prices I see in the market.

Do a web search on embroidery pricing...there are multitudes of charts/formulas/recommendations from industry professionals. Check shops in your area to see what they're charging, it varies wildly depending on location. I don't advocate wasting their time asking for a quote...you can get a close enough estimate from their website.

Hope that helps a little...

Anita

I'm with Anita. I do embroidery as a business along with my quilting. I have two large embroidery machines (Brother

PR-1000/PR-650) so I don't spend a lot of time changing colors or watching the machine, which you have to do on a DSM. I charge by the stitch. No matter how you do embroidery it's expensive. I used to cringe when I paid to have something embroideryed until I started to do it myself. Even a small job can take hours on a DSM. Set-up, hooping, stablizer, etc. Don't sell yourself short, there's a lot of sites for price recommendation. Just google "embroidery price". One sites is the embrodiery guild: http://embroideryguild.com/features/calculators-embroidery-calculators/embroidery-price-calculator. I wouldn't do a name and "small" logo/design for less then $30.00.

Thanks, this is for my neighbor whose son died this winter from cancer. His name is being embroidered on the hood (6 letters, 1.5 inch) and a design on the front of 3 crosses, a Bible and Romans 12:12 reference that I put all the elements together. She is willing to pay, price is not an object for her and when she first asked I told her I would do them for family but not do them for all the friends and public. It is on my Pfaff 2170 DSM. I will check the sites.

Second question: what is a good tool to remove embroidery? Out of the 7 hoods, only one got the name on the wrong side (inside). Yes, I do have an extra one of that size!!! God is good.

Bless you for doing this for your neighbor. I'd say that what you charge is as much a matter of the heart as anything else.

Frogging embroidery...I've had little success with knits, but without buying a special tool, embroidery scizzors or good old seam ripper are as good as anything else.

Good luck...Anita

Archived