Attaching bindings class

Originally posted by anniquilter

Annie how did you do this.

I just tried using a gadget I got that is supposed to help you guide the hopping foot so it stitches a quarter inch away from the edge of the binding & quilt. I found it really awkward to use as the hopping foot seemed to stick as it reached the end of the space cut out for stitching. I ended up ripping out the wavy seam & doing it on my dsm!

I have to try this again because it seems like such a great idea & I want to make it work.

I watched a you tube video some time ago, that made it look easy. I'll search for that link and post it if I find it.

I started in the middle at the top. Positioned the hopping foot so that the back edge was aligned with the raw edge of the binding, and just sewed slowly, keeping my eye on the back edge of the foot. When I got to the corner I stopped about 1/4" away and stitched out on the diagonal to the corner. Then I folded the edge the way I normally did on my DSM, and started again going down the side, aligning the edge of the foot with the edge of the binding.

I went around clockwise first. Then I rolled back to the top and went around counter clockwise. At the bottom, I trimmed the ends, folded one end so the raw edge was hidden, and tucked the other end into it. I did pin that joined section down to keep it in place while I stitched over it.

Sylvia,

I wish you were closer to me and I would gladly do you bindings for you. I really like sitting in a comfy chair doing hand work. I know, I'm sick, right? The only times it stresses me a little bit is when a customer gives me her biased made binding and wants it on a straight sided quilt. I'm afraid it will stretch too much or not enough and leave me with ripples, waves or pulled too tight and get cups at the corners. :P:P I don't know if my bindings are show quality or not, (have not entered a judged contest), but locally I'm known as the "binding fool". I do lots of them for the QOV group that meets monthly in our area too. Dar

Not planning on moving, but I work with a gal who hails from MS and I think it's near Hattiesburg. When she goes home next tiime, I'll let you know and maybe we can have her bring them back with her. She goes "home" to visit her family once or twice every year, I think. I'll find out what city. She is also a quilter and is at Market in Houston this week. Dar

I also cut my binding 2.25 inches and fold in half but I always cut my binding on the straight of the grain not bias, this eliminates rippling if the fabric is folded evenly. I would only cut binding on the bias if I had a curved/scalloped edge quilt. It's easy to do mitered corners with the straight edge binding and keep them sharp. Works for me.

Archived