Millennium thread breakage

Julie Harstad

I am new to long arm quilting, having the opportunity to use a friends machine. That is a really nice friend!

I have been having a challenge with thread breakage. After reviewing a number of posts I loosened the bobbin tension until it will gently slide to the floor, cleaned out the bobbin casing, replaced the needle, adjusted the top tension, and set the stitch regulator to 13 stitches per inch. I have been working on a top with batiks and cotton. When I am working in a tight pattern I have no problems. The tread seems to break when I am making sweeping freehand curves and am going faster. It also breaks within a couple inches when I attempt to go in the unregulated mode. Is it the speed that is causing the challenge, although that isn't the only time the tread breaks. I am using Superior Bottom Line thread in the bobbin and Rainbow on top.

Any advise you can pass along to a new long arm quilter would be appreciated!

What size needle are you using? I have the best luck with Rainbows using a size 4 needle. Smaller needles seem to shred the thread, then it finally breaks. Also, slow down. That is a factor, as you've already figured out!!

I guessed from your post you are using a Millie machine? APQS says they are timed for the size 4 needles.

Welcome to the family!! We are glad to see you here!!:P:P:P

So many things to think about--but I'm learning! At least now I understand what you are saying, even if I didn't think of it myself.

I figured out from other posts that Rainbow was finicky, but beautiful! I thought to move the stitch length, but I went the wrong way.

How much of a difference does the batting make? I used wool batting this time. What is your recommendation for heirloom/competition quilts? (Might as well shoot for the top!)

Thanks for the help!

Julie,

I love wool batting and use it all the time with no problems. The key is really figuring out how your machine handles different thread. I find that when I start with a new thread I set my bobbin tension first and completely make the top tension as loose as I can and my stitches are horrible. Then I start tightening the tension unil my stitch gets to be beautiful. I stitch almost always at 11 and go smaller when working on my show quilts that have a lot of fine details in it. Sometimes I have to really mess with tension but if you stick with it it will work out.

What had posted is the best way to start. Remember that each APQS machine is unique. Each machine has its own personality. Our machines are not stamped out but hand made. Your machine and your quilting style working in unison to create perfect stitches. Once you have understand how you respond to different fabrics, battings, threads -- even humidity -- tension adjustments will be a cinch!

Sandra

Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate the plan as to how to systematically ready the machine for each new quilt.

Next question concerns thread. I have a fabulous pieced top I want to work on next. I would like to do custom work, including a feather like design, with circular shapes for background fill-in, etc. I will be changing the top tread some, brown, green and gold, with a brown bobbin. I would like the tread to blend. I am thinking Superior Bottom line for the bobbin, and So Fine on the top. I thought these would be my best choice as I venture into some more advanced techniques with the easiest threads with which to work. Is this my best choice?

Archived