Way Off Topic! Any Bunny Experts?

Kids use to raise bunnies. Main thing is some good shelter, with roof, possibly a back on the cage, off the ground. A box or gunny sack to bed on, and good strong wire to prevent other animals getting in and killing the bunny.

Two most important things to a rabbit is constant clean water.. so fill bowl at least twice per day, more when it's real hot... and a good food.. Check at the feed store for this.. there is a winter and summer diet.

Don't let loads of kids, friends, etc feed it lots of grass... messy to clean up the after shot. lol

In summer, it must be shaded from the sun... roof and backing, maybe one side. I'd not put two solid sides and the back on it.

A good feed store should be able to guide you more. Oh, ours had little salt lick too.. Plastic won't work with rabbits.. they are like goats... Ceramic is the best.. and the marlite stuff they make kettle handles out of, is second, or was 30 years ago.

Oh my, brings back the 4-H years memories. My 3 daughters had rabbits for several years and they were a part of the family. We had outdoor cages with a back room built on with a door under a good shade tree. This kept them dry,and out of the rain and wind.... also made it easier to get them out of the cages--- which they thought was a lovely game of hide and seek. The bunnies were smart.

In the coldest of winter or the heat of the summer, we had cages in the basement. My girls took them out a lot to play with them, they ran all over the house but the bunnies favorite time of day was when they could run loose in the yard for at least 30 minutes every day. Yes, they love to play in the snow. They love to eat grass and were always checking out my flowerbeds. No the cats didn't bother them, just watched them, the dogs protected them.

We were always told the rabbits could handle cold much better than the heat. So our rule was above 90 degrees and below 20 we brought them inside. They loved toys. A tin can with a few rocks in it to make noise was a favorite. Baby toy keys on a big ring--they love to fling about--they just like to nose things around and fling things

about. We loved, played and hugged them dearly. We had French Lops, Chocolate Dutch and Norwegain Dwarf. Pipia, the dwarf was the only one that could outrun us and we finally got her a tiny halter with leash.

Good food, plenty of water,a blanket, their favorite grasses, noisy toys, lots of exercise, love and hugs make a happy bunny. Check out your local pet store and get book at the library. Have a great time with your new bunny.

A guy at work has three house bunnies - one named Fred is a Holland Lop. He saw the other advice listed here and agrees. He recommends the House Rabbit site too. He said lots of greens but not iceburg since it is nutritionally a zero. Kale is great. He said bunnies have a sweet tooth. He limits his to 2 raisins and 1 small carrot a day. All his bunnies are litter box trained. He said rabbits won't show you when they are sick since they are prey for so many other animials so if yours seems sick, he is really sick. He goes to a vet when needed that has rabbit experience. He loves his rabbits. He has one named Ozzie you would swear is a dog based on the stories he tells.

Mary

Archived