pure silk quilt....eek, help!!!

Hey all, I have finally mounted this quilt and am petrified. It is a Jenny Haskin's Heritage quilt. It isn't the quilting that scares me so much, as the fabric. This piece is made out of VERY expensive pure silk. Can I use my Brunzeel pencil to mark the spines? What if I have to rip something out? I am planning to use a 3.5 needle and very fine thread. Maybe bottom line in the top or I have silk thread from Superior.

Any advice before I start this one??

Thanks so much in advance!!

Tracey

I don't have any great advice but just want to say "Don't worry". I had the opportunity to work on a silk quilt once and was scared too, but as I was sewing and saw how pretty the stitches were on the silk, I calmed down. I used a 3.5 and SoFine on top. I just had to rip out a small section and it wasn't noticeable.

Jess

Since silk is a natural fiber it will behave very much like cotton. Is it shiny? that may cause it to ring if it gets wet but a hole made by a needle will close up well. The one thing you want to avoid at all costs is a snag in you needle. Silk will pull and there is not way to fix it. Good luck! Post pics when done.

Silk batting with silk fabric is fabulous, light and lofty. Wet the batting first since it can shrink a bit. I just let it air dry which works well in Arizona. I used a thin So Fine thread on the top and Bob's bobbins on the bottom which I think is So Fine too. The luster and light play with shadows caused by the stitching makes it so delightful to see.

I have also used WonderFil Copper Metallic on silk which sparkled so much. It's a tender thread so the path of the thread had to be very simple and direct with no tension loops and backed off on the top tension. Took awhile to get the tension just right but the results were magnificent. On this quilt I used Hobbs 80/20 for the bottom batting and then a layer of wool on top for loft. The double batting gave the silk a lot of dimension and drama.

Vicki

Archived