Quilting Levels

What do you consider to come up with the different levels of quilting and setting prices? Level I would be simple E2E or very simple meander? Level 2 would be more complex E2E/panto? What about SID, ruler work, applique and Quiltazoid, sashing and border different from main quilt? I am a very beginner but listed my business card in our guild directory coming out in January so need to get these things organized in case my phone rings.

I have meandering, e2e, custom, advanced custom and heirloom. Custom is minimal SID but includes anything that requires me to quilt according to the quilting pattern, such as special border treatments. My heirloom ranges from .06 - .10 PSI and it is done on a case by case bases. If my customers want custom I usually give them 2 or 3 levels (prices) to consider. I've learned not to sell myself short.

I would recommend you pick up the local LAers brochures at quilt shops and shows. Most price by the sq inch for meander, E2E at 2or3 levels, charge extra to turn a quilt, have a range for custom - not just one flat rate and a minimum for E2E and a different minimum for custom. Also, do a google and see what websites have to say. It won't give you going rates for your area but will give you an idea of how LAers charge, they are different.

There is a wealth of information for you here on this site. You have access to hundreds of professional quilter's websites simply by looking for them.

Log on and go to "Member List" to bring up every registered member. You can easily tell if that member has a website by the blue box--click on the website button and access their site. If they take quilts for hire, there should be info about pricing. Spend an hour comparing prices and descriptions of quilting offerings and you will get a tangible hold on pricing. It may change regionally, but you will notice a standard very quickly.

Note that some charge by the square inch and some by the square yard, but you will find that the costs are comparable.

Be careful though--you will be tempted by the quilt galleries and webshot links. Don't get sidetracked by all the pretties!;)

I looked at a lot of websites and kept track of how long it took me to do various things to try and determine a good pricing strategy. There are a lot of things that take more time, such as multiple borders, turning the quilt, designs that require you to start and stop multiple times.

I created a handout to help me judge what pricing level I should charge. Unfortunately, the formatting didn't transfer.

The first section are the column headings. The different sections are the rows in the table. My panto pricing is $0.015 - .02 per sq in.

Level Follow the piecing? Type of stitching Traveling between sections Stops and starts Pricing/

sq in

Meandering N Simple freehand all over design, such as loops or stars, in a loose, open format Y Backstitch $0.015

All-over N More complex all over freehand design, 2-4” apart. May include separate border. Y Backstitch $0.02

Light Custom Y Simple treatment that follows the piecing such as swirls, loops. May include separate border. Y Backstitch $0.02

Moderate Custom Y Moderately complex treatment that follows the piecing, generally with no more than 3 designs - block, sashing and border. Some Backstitch $0.025

Heavy Custom Y Treatment that follows the piecing, and utilizes intensive techniques such as Stitch in the Ditch (SID) or McTavishing, cross-hatching, feathers, outlining appliqué, echoing, starts and stops, and background fills. Very little Backstitch $0.03 – $0.04

Heirloom Y Treatment that follows the piecing and may include multiple different designs for various areas or create areas where none existed. May include original designs, very dense quilting, working with fragile metallic threads, multiple thread changes, or art quilts. N Backstitch or leave threads for burying $0.05+

Trapunto Y Additional batting stitched behind focus area with water soluble thread which is then soaked away after stitching. N Backstitch or leave threads for burying $25/hr

Good luck!

Julia

Archived