King Tutt on top and bottom

Can you use King Tutt veragated on the top and bottom thread? I was using on both and the top thread kept breaking so I loosened the top tension a bit (Probably 1 and 1/2 turns) . Then noticed the thread was pulling through with a bad stitch. I had already sewn a row of quilting. Now, I'm sitting here taking ALL that stitching out on that row where I loosened the top tension. What a pain!! Was I suppose to use a different bottom thread? Do I take the whole thing out now and start over? (It'll take me probably 2 days to do that! :( Or after I take out the bad row, can I proceed with finishing the quilt with both top and bottom KING TUTT thread? How do I adjust the thread tension?

You can use King Tutt on both the top and bottom. I usually use a solid that blends with the varigated in the bobbin because if you do have some pokies it doesn't seem to show as much. I also usually use alot of silicone on King Tutt and loosen the top tension.

OK :) Here is my humble opinion :D Yes, you can use Tut on top & bottom but it is not recommended for the beginner quilter just starting out. Because it's cotton, it has little "nubs" that tend to grab onto eachother (fight eachother) in the tug o war battle of the tension game. So... I would say that sure you can definitely but it will take you some time to fine tune, a lot of patience and tweaking. I would suggest that in the beginning months of learning your new machine (and you are a newbie) I would stay with tut on top and either So Fine or another poly on bottom. I usually use Bottom line but you can use whatever. If it's slick (poly) it will be less of a hassle.

Sorry you have to rip out. Do you have a dental tool (like a hook)? That works super slick for pulling out stitches.

After a few months if you want to "practice" with Tut top & Bottom, go for it but for now don't make life difficult for you. You're still a baby! :)

Archived